Analog Discovery 2 vs Raspberry Pi 3

hamster

Question

Hi. I've replaced my Cubieboard with a Raspberry Pi 3, and it runs the ARM version of Waveforms really well. With an Electronics Explorer everything works sweet.

With the AD2, it complains about supply and/or AUX voltage, even with a 5V 3A power pack attached (The power supply panel indicates that the AUX supply is present so I know it is working well). The USB voltage usually shows as 4.92V at a few 10s of mAs

I've tried with 2.5A USB PSU => Pi3 => Powered Hub => AD2, as well as 2.5A USB PSU => Pi3 => AD2. I also get a "unsufficent power". I've tried a few different USB cables too.

The USB 2.0 spec, according to Wikipedia is 5V +/- 0.25V, so anything above 4.75V should be possible. Is there any hints?

If I wanted to make a USB dummy load and test the voltage drop, what specs should I be checking for?

19 hours ago, attila said:

The problem seems to be with FTDI or RPI B USB, library or hardware. You can find such comments regarding RPI problems with other devices too. Unfortunately we couldn't remediate this problem.

But these posts are from 2012. Do you think nothing has changed?

Has there been any update on this? I see this was from just a few months ago, but  I am also interested in using the Analog Discovery 2 on the Raspberry Pi 3.

I haven't tried it yet, based on the troubles people have mentioned in this thread, so I have no other data to report.

Just to add, that I've tried it with the recently released Raspberry Pi  3B+ but no luck. I have updated to the latest kernels. Very frustrating :( 

I wonder if there is a problem with the Digilent Adept runtime drivers for linux.

Hi @Phil_D @rprr

The problem is that the USB IN packets/bytes are randomly lost/altered.
I tried various kernel options, limiting the USB transfer rates but had no luck. The data corruption reduced from one in 1-60 seconds to one in 10-60 minutes, which it is still not good...

It seems that the root of the problem is in the low level FTDI library, kernel or USB modules, or between them...
The Analog Discovery is working fine with other SOCs but not with the RPi.
I also notice issue with the USB keyboard I use with the RPi, time to time key presses are not received. 
You can find many similar RPi issues on the net:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5249&sid=8839659cb92b7475fa196b2fad775d9f&start=250
http://www.ftdicommunity.com/index.php?topic=40.0

Hi @rprr

The x86/amd64 Linux builds requires libc6 >=2.14, armhf >= 2.13
You can try installing the WF package on the system even without the device.
The SDK examples should execute normally, printing "failed to open device"...
The waveforms application due to GUI has higher requirements, but it should start and work in demo mode.

On 6/11/2018 at 5:27 AM, attila said:

Hi @Phil_D @rprr

The problem is that the USB IN packets/bytes are randomly lost/altered.
I tried various kernel options, limiting the USB transfer rates but had no luck. The data corruption reduced from one in 1-60 seconds to one in 10-60 minutes, which it is still not good...

It seems that the root of the problem is in the low level FTDI library, kernel or USB modules, or between them...
The Analog Discovery is working fine with other SOCs but not with the RPi.
I also notice issue with the USB keyboard I use with the RPi, time to time key presses are not received. 
You can find many similar RPi issues on the net:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5249&sid=8839659cb92b7475fa196b2fad775d9f&start=250
http://www.ftdicommunity.com/index.php?topic=40.0

Is it possible to have a software mod that would check for missed packets and if the expected packet is not there, the software just requests another, until it gets a packet?  I guess there'd have to be some kind of time out, or limit to how many missed packets would be allowed before terminating the request. Obviously, you wouldn't want to keep requesting packets indefinitely.

Any update on this? We want to use the AD2 in a remote data logging application, maybe running for months (we are looking for electromagnetic surges which damage equipment, they don't happen on a convenient schedule). Rather than custom design hardware I was hoping to use AD2 or OpenScope to make a quick system and then get the data into the cloud via WiFi or cellular modem (so we don't have to drive to the site and look at SD card to see if anything interesting has happened). I have a new Pi 3B+ and AD2. Another option I have Chromebooks with Linux Beta, and a Windows10 notebook (right, that will run for weeks without crashing)...

>> remote data logging application, maybe running for months

One RPI option is to drive an external ADC through SPI, if that's sufficient for the data acquisition job.
I've used this approach in the past with an MBED LPC1768 as host, and this ADC module http://papilio.cc/index.php?n=Papilio.AnalogGroveWing. I'm sure similar PMOD modules can be found on this site.

I have successfully attached two different AD2 devices to an Orange Pi PC Plus (not at the same time), connected using VNC, and remotely operated it.  I also wanted to use Raspberry Pi 3+, but the Orange Pi that I ended up with has everything I wanted AND boots from onboard 8 GB eMMC; I've been less than satisfied with the reliability of the RPi's SD-based boot volumes. $35 from Amazon Prime or $25 from aliexpress.

On 6/7/2017 at 8:28 PM, Vince Patron said:

(and the 2461 is $8k each) but ran into a bug in their digitizer.

laughing out loud... Welcome to the wonderworld of 2018 test engineering.
Exciting new bugs are waiting for YOU to be discovered - it's as simple as trying to use an instrument for its advertised purpose :)

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

I have a Pine A64 2GB board that I thought worth trying with Waveforms.   As many of the previous comments, I'm trying to get a small/cheap/portable solution to running AD2, in my case for STEM educational use (not much budget beyond the AD2 itself).    After much trial and error, I thought was close to getting Waveforms/Adept to run on it, but I think there might be a fundamental mismatch.  So before I waste anymore time, can someone please advise if this combo is basically incompatible, or otherwise:  Waveforms & Adept2 with an ARM64 architecture running a 64bit Debian based OS?  (there is no Pine64 32-bit OS build, BTW).

What I tried so far:     I used the Orange Pi PC Plus guide (link earlier in this thread) as a rough guide to installing Waveforms on ARM, and after a lot of tinkering in the Pine64 version of Ubuntu Mate (setting up armhf and i386 environments, etc), I managed to install the Waveforms & Adept2 packages.  But unlike the comments in the Orange Pi guide,  when starting Waveforms from command line, was that it returned an an error about not finding a library called libstdc++.so.6.    I'm a Linux noob and don't really understand the incompatibilities and dependencies.    I tried a lot of things but in the end, I found and copied these library files to the waveforms library folder;  probably not the right thing to do, but this did change the error to read "wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64" for libstdc++.   So it seems to show that Waveforms or Adept2 ARM versions are 32bit.  I found some related forum threads suggesting that I should install the 32bit version of this library and some suggestion that it is  Adept 2 that is 32bit for ARM.  Either way, apt-get doesn't find a 32bit version of the libstdc++ library, so I'm stuck.

Any pointers much appreciated.

UPDATE:  I found the 32bit version of the libstdc++.so.6 library and dependencies and installed the packages.  Waveforms does not find the installed location (/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu) but it also ignores this 32bit file type if I move it to the Waveforms/qtlibs folder.  But I move the armhf version as described above, it finds it but doesn't like it cos it's 64bit.  How does that make sense?  Is it looking for a different 32bit library?

Also just found this; is this still the case, i.e. can't be done?  Attila said at the time that 32bit app should run on 64bit OS, but last comment didn't go into any detail about why the Adept .deb didn't work.

Edited by Grimmers
new info

Thanks @rprr for posting a bug report on Raspberry's GitHub. I also have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and it would be great to have WaveForms running on it.

There is a suggestion on the FTDI Community forum to try a 3rd-party library called libFTDI, they think it might work.

Has anyone tried to compile it and use it with WaveForms?

I tried the following, but my Linux knowledge ends here :)

sudo apt-get install cmake libusb-1.0

git clone git://developer.intra2net.com/libftdi

cd libftdi

cmake .

And I got this error:

Could NOT find Confuse (missing: CONFUSE_LIBRARY CONFUSE_INCLUDE_DIR)

@attila, do you see any chance this could work?

Szia @Andras

This is a completely different library than the one provided by the FTDI. In order to use this the Adept Runtime would need to be modified.
On the other hand I don't see in this lib support for the FIFO data transfer mode nor the MPSSE used by AD, so it is unusable for this purpose.