Analog Discovery 2 vs Raspberry Pi 3

hamster

Question

Hi. I've replaced my Cubieboard with a Raspberry Pi 3, and it runs the ARM version of Waveforms really well. With an Electronics Explorer everything works sweet.

With the AD2, it complains about supply and/or AUX voltage, even with a 5V 3A power pack attached (The power supply panel indicates that the AUX supply is present so I know it is working well). The USB voltage usually shows as 4.92V at a few 10s of mAs

I've tried with 2.5A USB PSU => Pi3 => Powered Hub => AD2, as well as 2.5A USB PSU => Pi3 => AD2. I also get a "unsufficent power". I've tried a few different USB cables too.

The USB 2.0 spec, according to Wikipedia is 5V +/- 0.25V, so anything above 4.75V should be possible. Is there any hints?

If I wanted to make a USB dummy load and test the voltage drop, what specs should I be checking for?

Szia and Attila

I got a Raspberry Pi 4 last week on release day (got the 2GB version as they sold out of 4GB in half a day) .  Just got it plugged into the Analog Discovery and it works!

Not really tried it for long but it seems to work reliably, but only well on USB3.

On USB3 port, first time it wasn't recognised, but tried again after swapping devices around a then it was detected.  Maybe it clashed with my wireless mouse dongle   When I tried USB2 port, it connected immediately but I found that every few minutes (max 5-10mins) it would throw a device error window and I would have to clear and reconnect.  Maybe RPi foundation kept the FTDI chipset for USB2 and used a new one for USB3 (Pi datasheet only says there is one chipset and it's not FTDI).    I will try and soak test tomorrow, but looking good on USB3.   So far it has been running 23mins with no apparent glitches, and Chromium tabs open.  Waveforms taking 13-20% of CPU in task manager.

Edited by Grimmers
USB3 port now recognising device

Hi @Grimmers

The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is working well with the Analog Discovery 2 when connected to the USB 3 (blue) ports. It was running continuously for more than 24 hours.
The connection to the device over the USB 2 (black) ports dropped after 6-12 hours.
It looks like the problem was caused by the external USB hub. After connecting the AD2 directly to RPi4B USB 2.0 port it is working since 2 days.

image.png.136c7dc8a77eb34e934775a96831f8f9.png

Edited by attila

Hello,

The USB packets are randomly lost or altered with Analog Discovery (1 & 2) on Raspberry Pi (1 & 2). With RPi1 this happens too often. With RPi2 it manages to configure the device, but later it receives wrong status information. Due to this, the application sees randomly having unpowered, 0V, 0A device... Similarly it could receive wrong acquisition data too.
I suppose some low level USB library/firmware timeout issue is causing this problem.

I have not yet tried RPi3 but it looks like the problem is the same.

See the earlier post: 

With external powered USB hub and Raspberry Pi A model ... Analog discovery rev c(old Black) working just great... Its slow but obvious with 256mb ram...

My setup...steps..

First install adapt runtime 2.16.1  armhf.deb

second install adapt utility 2.1.1 armhf.deb

third install digilant waveforms 3.1.5 armhf.deb

waveform 3.3.3 opens but not detect device...

waveform 3.1.5 detects device and run the device very well I have tested up to 4 hours without any issue on raspberry pi A...

Hello,

I just wanted to let people know that we (Digilent) have not yet been able to get WaveForms 2015/Analog Discovery 2 working on a Raspberry Pi 3 either; we're still running into the issue mentioned and linked to by attila up towards the top of this thread. I guess I know that we've been able to get WaveForms to work briefly on the Pi 3, only to then receive a message about a lack of adequate power for the AD2 as mentioned on the linked thread. So, no resolution as of yet.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi all:

I've experienced the same issue with v3.5.4 using both AD1 and AD2 with SDK for an embedded project.

If I place in the cmdline.txt  dwc_otg.speed=1 , The RPI improves and hangs disappear at the beginning, but after several minutes working with AD the errors appear again " DPTIo failed: ERC 0x2" and I have to shutdown my tests. 

Any clue to workaround these problems?

Hi All,

SAME PROBLEM HERE (AD2 / RpI 3+Waveforms2015_3.5.4) !!!

@Digilent: Please FIX this digilent.adept.runtime_2.16.6-armhf.deb as soon as possible.

The way it stands, this whole combo is utterly unusable ...

Thanks for having a well deserved look into this matter,

M_VdM.

Just wanted to chime in that this issue is also very important. The Raspberry Pi is very popular and makes an excellent inexpensive controller and you guys should really consider making it reliable with AD2.

I am building a commercial battery characterization setup that can run 10 stations in parallel (since it can take days to run each battery). I got the OK to buy 10 x [Rpi3 + Keithley 2461 sourcemeters]  (and the 2461 is $8k each) but ran into a bug in their digitizer.

While I wait for Keithley to debug, I am designing a Plan B using your competitor's USB scope/AWG/analyzer, one that works very well with Rpi3. There's extra time to develop a custom board for this solution but management will like this very cheap solution.

I personally own an AD1, AD2 and Electronics Explorer I bought myself so I love your stuff, but really need the reliable Rpi3 communication. Thanks for considering.

Hi @Wojtek

I'm not sure what Digilent can do to fix or prevent this problem. The USB packets/bytes are randomly lost on RPi.
According the posts on other forums such problem manifest with other devices, so the root of problem seems to be in RPi USB hardware or software.
I even noticed that characters are lost from the USB/wireless keyboard on RPi.
I tried forcing USB fullspeed (disabling USB highspeed) but then I couldn't find a keyboard which have worked with RPi.

FTDI USBs like AD, AD2, DD are not working with RPI model B (1,2,3) data packets/bytes are randomly lost. 
The EExplorer with different USB controller is working fine on these.
All devices are working with other embeddeds: Zed, Zybo, BeagleBone…
According reports AD is working with the original RPI model A and probably Zero because it has similar chipset/USB.

The problem seems to be with FTDI or RPI B USB, library or hardware. You can find such comments regarding RPI problems with other devices too. Unfortunately we couldn't remediate this problem.