Zybo: Error opening JTAG UART @ localhost:-1

Troy

Question

Hi, I get the error message: Error opening JTAG UART @ localhost:-1

when trying to run the lwip echo server implementation in Xilinx SDK. Has anyone else run into this issue and have a solution?

Thanks,

Troy

16 answers to this question

Actually, I hadn't noticed this before but SDK is actually crashing now when I press a button on the Zybo board.  I opened up screen /dev/ttyUSB1 115200 and can see the log messages just fine, so it must be something in Vivado that's messing up.  I start Vivado in a console and can see this from it: crash.txt, which references this: hs_err_pid13046.log.

Searching for that error messages yields this post on the Xilinx forums.  The solution posted by an admin is to use an older OS version.  I already bent over backwards to get a VM of Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS so that I could run this, I don't think I'll be wasting my time downgrading. :(

I guess the solution here is use screen to access the serial console.

Hello all;

I am trying to send ".elf" file to my board using a A USB to B USB cable (JTAG mode jumpers is correctly positionned),I have the same issue mentioned above (attached in the screen-shot)

Knowing that I use SDK 2017.3 and the green led on the zedboard is lighted up when the 'C' code source is ran! 

Everything seems to be fine with the plugging. 

even connecting STDIO to console JTAG UART in the run/debug configuration does not resolve the problem!

Any help will be appreciated 

HELP HELP

Thank you

jtag.PNG

Hello gkelly,

I'm sorry for the late response. Wanted to confirm if you are you still experiencing problems with the serial communication in the getting started with Zynq tutorial or did you resolve your issue? If you are still experiencing problems I would like to help you get them resolved.

thank you,

Jon

I had the same issue following Getting Started Guide.  The board is programmed and is responding to the switches and the RX light blinks whenever I press a user button, but nothing shows up in the Console tab of the SDK.

I got a little further than the original poster in that I added myself to the dialout group (adduser $USER dialout), and logged out and back in.  This made the SDK able to open /dev/ttyUSB1, which I then configured like this:

top.png

However even after doing this and restarting the SDK and replugging the board I still can't get any output.

On my board JP5 is set to JTAG.

Any ideas?

Huh, this is a pretty broad question, can you give me any more specifics on your hardware, like jumper settings and anything else? Does your computer recognize the Zybo when it's plugged in? In device manager it pops up as USB serial converter A/B. If these don't pop up, have you installed the cable drivers?

Archived