PS configuration help

Newbiee

Question

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a simple software application, that just prints HELLO WORLD from the already available templates in C. 

But, I don't see the hello word printed at all. 

These are the steps I take for this

1) I start SDK and select the workspace

2) file --> new --> application project

I just give name hello_world as the application name.

image.png.514101742eb0fdf348c027a9b866f480.png

3) next --> I choose the hello world from the template.

4) Now I have the hello world application in the project included

image.thumb.png.4b86d28264b616cc639baba9a72526fa.png

5) then I right click on hello world 

image.png.1f8023d2b05458c73c45454cf450cf09.png

select RUN AS --> LAUNCH ON HARDWARE(GDB) 

I also tried with LAUNCH ON HARDWARE (SYSTEM DEBUGGER) 

6) then in the comport I establish  connection and i see these 

image.png.206553092e31ca9ba2dcb6411a49da92.png

every time I remove the power plug and insert it back I see those square block added next to the displayed info.

please help me setup this. I use SDK 2016.4 version

My board is enclustra ZX3 (xilinx7020) based.

Thanks in advance.

image.png

5 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron,

There is no block design. I was trying to do only the baremetal application part as per the video here from the xilinxinc

I had previously tried with some block design but I had the same issue, so I decided to go without any block design and try only doing the Hello world task.

For your question, I am not sure if that is required or necessary. But I have not used any as such so far, and the logic side is working fully as far as I have seen.

Hi @Newbiee,

There are only a few pre-defined hardware platforms usable in SDK. I have attached a screen shot of the pre-defined hardware platforms in SDK 2018.2. The hardware platform is built from a bit stream generated and exported to SDK from Vivado. Bitstreams are board specific due to board specific pin assignment. Xilinx included hardware platforms of their fpga boards in SDK. The enclustra ZX3 (xilinx7020) does not  look to be one of the pre-defined hardware platforms in SDK. I believe that you will need to generate a bitstream using Vivado. One of the reasons Digilent provides vivado board files for our boards is when running block automation it configures the microblaze/zynq processors correctly.  

cheers,

Jon

SDK_HW_platform.jpg

Archived