Jtag HS2 + adept tools not working reliably under debian linux

Matthieu Imbert

Question

Hi,

I have a platform of 40 debian linux machines connected to FPGA devices with jtags HS2, with adept2 runtime + utilities.

At one point in the past, it was working correctly, I could run djtgcfg enum then djtgcfg init -d JtagHs2:

$ djtgcfg enum

Found 1 device(s)

Device: JtagHs2
    Product Name:   Digilent JTAG-HS2
    User Name:      JtagHs2
    Serial Number:  210249854746

$ djtgcfg init -d JtagHs2
Initializing scan chain...
Found Device ID: 06e59093
Found Device ID: 06e59093
Found Device ID: 84250093

Found 3 device(s):
    Device 0: XC6VLX240T
    Device 1: XC2C64A
    Device 2: XC2C64A

Since then, I've upgraded the debian version, I've upgraded the versions of adept2 runtime + utilities, I've ugraded the version of libftd2xx (i don't use the libftd2xx shipped in adept2 runtime, i install the latest version of libftd2xx, since in the past it has proved to solve some issues I had).

I can't track when it stopped to work but now I get this error:

$ djtgcfg enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: JtagHs2
    Product Name:   Digilent JTAG-HS2
    User Name:      JtagHs2
    Serial Number:  210249854746
$ djtgcfg init -d JtagHs2
ERROR: failed to enable JTAG, erc = 3077
^C

(i need to kill it because it blocks forever)

I use 64bits adept runtime 2.16.1 and utilites 2.2.1 provided here and libftd2x 64bits 1.3.6 from here.

I noticed that depending on the debian version and the adept2 install method, the behavior changes:

• on my laptop running debian testing, if installing from the adept2 runtime / utilities tgz, I get the error.
  • on my laptop running debian testing, if installing from the adept2 runtime / utilities debian package, I don't get the error, djtgcfg init works correctly
  • on control nodes of my platform, running debian stable, I get the error whether i install from the .deb or from the tgz.

I cannot switch the operating system of my platform from debian stable to debian testing, so is there a way to get adept2 to work under debian stable?

best,

M.

5 answers to this question

Here is some additional informations to help solving my issue:

I tried:

$ export ADEPT_RT_LOGFILE=~/adept.log
$ export ADEPT_RT_LOGDETAIL=10

Here is the result:

System Time     Process     Thread        ERC     ERC String                  Message
1611741062      4848        3553609536    3077    ercStsReceiveFailed         DVT::FGetTransResult device status
1611741062      4848        3553609536    4       ercCapabilityNotEnabled     not jtag port enabled

Hi Matthieu,

If you installed from the tar.gz and are using a version of debian that includes kernel 4 then I think the UDEV rules weren't properly generated/installed. That's due to an issue with the install.sh shell script that will be fixed in the next release.

Can you try running djtgcfg with sudo? If that works then it's almost certainly a UDEV rules issue.

Thanks,

Michael

Hi Matthieu,

I haven't been able to duplicate the issue. I'm running debian 8.3 and i installed the newest version of adept 2 runtime and utilities using the 64 bit DEB as well as the libftd2x 64bits 1.3.6. Did you follow the read me for installation of libftd2x 64bits 1.3.6 at http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX/Linux/ReadMe-linux.txt . The command djtgcfg enum and  djtgcfg init -d JtagHs2 worked correctly. Can you think of anything that might be different between our systems. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived