Blake

How to launch Digilent hdmi FMC with zc702 board

Question

Hi all,

I want to verify Digilent HDMI FMC on zc702 board, but the Zynq base TRD 15.04 was used Avnet HDMI FMC with IP - "avnet_hdmi_in" in the path "rdf0286-zc702-zvik-base-trd-2015-4\hardware\vivado\srcs\ip".

If I use the original SD image to boot up zc702 board with Digilent FMC on FMC2 slot.
The board could detect i2c@1 (FMC), but crashed by i2c fatal error.
If I modify the constraint file only - pin_zc702.xdc to match Digilent FMC I/O setting, then repacked the BOOT.BIN with modified bitstream.
The board could boot up successfully, but couldn't seem detect i2c@1 (FMC).

Could I replace the corresponding IP to launch the Digilent FMC only?
If yes, where could I get the right IP?

If not, could someone tell me what I missed? Thanks.

BR
Blake

Hi  @Blake,

Short update. I've recreated Adam project with a different setup and it works. I'm able to read different resolutions trough the first input of the FMC-HDMI adapter. I'm using a zybo to generate those resolutions, which further on are read by the VTC ip core. Check the images bellow:

The first image is the serial terminal from which I communicate with Zybo, and the second image shows the output values within the VTC ip core. 

zybo.thumb.png.0ad109270e135eb5fdd9628f62e4e019.pngzed.thumb.png.9c4efb7e1f2b01ede1069cb9f7dc5b72.png

I couldn't be able the replicate this using a laptop as an hdmi source, and that is because I think there are problems with the edid file used by Adam in his project. For now,  you can use his project as reference, and for future I will try to get rid off Zybo and add everything into Zed. Also if you check this link: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xcell-Daily-Blog-Archived/Adam-Taylor-s-MicroZed-Chronicles-Part-216-Capturing-the-HDMI/ba-p/794874 you will found out that : "Initially in its free-running mode, the ADV7611 outputs video in 480x640 pixel format. Checking the VTC registers, it is also possible to observe that the detector has locked with the incoming sync signals and has detected the mode correctly, as shown in the image below: " So the message that you initially received is actually correct. I will keep you in touch with everything that I'm adding to this project. 

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca 

Hi @Blake

Sorry for my late reply. Please check the fallowing link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/87cm0faa66sdra9/fmc_hdmi_in_1.zip?dl=0 This is the first variant of the project. I will try to make new updates into the close future. The project reads on HDMI1 IN input the resolution given by HDMI OUT, so you have to make a loop-back between those two. For patterns I used the test pattern generator from Xilinx, which needs a license, although the license is free. So, you either request one from Xilinx, or you can try to copy the one that I have. Check the attached document. You have to copy the file on this location C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\XilinxLicense. I will keep you in touch every time I add something new. If you have any questions please fell free to ask.

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca  

tpg.zip

Edited by BogdanVanca