Has anyone ported GNU Radio to a zynq development board

miner_tom

Question

4 answers to this question

I might be very wrong about this but I doubt that a Pynq-Z1  platform is going to be a satisfying host for GNU radio. Graphics performance alone is likely to be a serious issue. Rebuilding this suite of tools for regular PC flavors of Linux on x86 or 64-bit machines from sources isn't a trivial undertaking. You'll have to do that for ARM based platform with limited resources.

I would be pleased if someone who's done this proves me wrong.

@miner_tom

Last I recall, the universal software radio peripheral (USRP) that would feed the gnu-radio companion was built within a Zynq.  That would handle downconversion, initial filtering, and rate selection.  You should be able to look this code up on line.  It was quite public.

Dan

2 hours ago, D@n said:

@miner_tom

Last I recall, the universal software radio peripheral (USRP) that would feed the gnu-radio companion was built within a Zynq.  That would handle downconversion, initial filtering, and rate selection.  You should be able to look this code up on line.  It was quite public.

Dan

Dan, thank you for the reply. I did go to the USRP site and found the product that you mentioned. It is pretty expensive, and none of the code for it was available other than generic links to Xilinx and Gnu Radio.

Tom

Tom,

You can try to build GnuRadio on your board. There is a script that automates building it on ARM processor running Linux. Once I did it on Samsung chromebook running Ubuntu. In my recollections it took 2 to 3 hours for the completion but in the end it was usable. This Cromebook had 2GB of RAM and 4-core processor. I am not sure the it makes sense to build GnuRadio on Zynq 7000 with its limited resources.  Also you will probably need to use remote desktop to graphical output.

Archived