Installing Cerebot 32MX4 driver

aatm1412

Question

I've recently started working with an old board at school, Cerebot 32MX4, and what I want is to start programming it using the MPLAB software on my Windows 10 PC. Nevertheless, even though I've been following the manuals, I can't use it because of a driver problem. For some reason, Windows displays a driver missing error.

The installation manual says that the user needs to specify the driver's location (Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\PIC32MXSkit\Drivers) but when I do that in the Device Manager it says it hasn't found the driver. I read it could possibly be a compiler error, but the correct one is installed, the one intended for PIC32 devices.

Whe I go into the MPLAB software and set the debugger as PIC32 Starter Kit I get an error of device missing.

I know the device is kind of old, but I would like to know any solutions to this problem. I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I don't know what's missing.

ccompiler.jpg

pic32starterkit.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi @aatm1412,

I can't fully tell based on your post, but did you install the PIC32 Starter Kits Software that is available at the bottom of Microchip's page here? After extracting the file, you should be able to go into the folder PIC32StarterKit_CDv1_1->fscommand->PIC32_sk_installer.exe. This should get PIC32MX Starter Kit support installed (though it will also forcibly MPLAB again) where upon I believe you should be to connect the board and have it ready to go.

I don't have the board itself to test the driver side of things, but the accurate driver location that you should be looking in (based on my Windows 10 machine using all of the default install locations) should be in C:\Microchip Starter Kits\PIC32 Sarter Kits\MPLAB IDE\PICK32MXSKit\Drivers\mp32mxsk.sys.

Let me know how this goes for you.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for your recommendations!

I already downloaded the PIC32 Starter Kit, and as you said, everything was installed in (C:\Microchip Starter Kits) But the problem still remains. The Cerebot 32MX4 board has this jumper that enables either USB Device Port or USB Debug Port.

When I enable USB Device Port I get the driver missing error on my PC, so I went into the Device Manager again and specified the new location for the driver: (C:\Microchip Starter Kits\PIC32 Sarter Kits\MPLAB IDE\PICK32MXSKit\Drivers) I can't select a specific file, I can only choose a folder, so I can't select the mp32mxsk.sys file which is the driver I need. Maybe that's the problem.

When I enable USB Debug Port, for some reason Windows finds the driver for the device. It calls it as a Microchip Tool Device, but when I go into MPLAB and select PIC32 Starter Kit I still get the device warning/error. In the following 2 pictures you can see the difference from when it's set up as USB Device and USB Debug Port.

Is it possible to install a specific firmware to the board while having all these issues? Maybe I have to program the driver to the board. My guess is that I can't because the PC is not even completely detecting the device.

ModuloSensadoDriver.JPG

DeviceManagerMicrochip.JPG

Hi @aatm1412,

I apologize for the delay.

I'm not certain what the issue may be here. With regards to using the device as a USB device (as per the jumper J12) that will attempt to have the module be used as a USB Host/OTG module (using J15) and it will need to be externally powered, which if you are not using an external power source would explain why your computer does not detect the driver. Setting the jumper to USB Debug Port should have the power instead be sourced from the USB port at J11, which may explain why your PC detects the device.

What I would try is to set the power to USB Debug Port and when you can see the Microchip WinUSB Device, have your PC uninstall the driver and then re-run the Starter Kit Software to help ensure the correct driver is installed (as opposed to whatever driver Windows 10 decides is appropriate, which may or may not be correct for this older board). I don't physically have the Cerebot 32MX4 for myself to physically test this though, so I can't confirm if this will work or not.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived