Hi, Interested in LabVIEW

Robert Craven

Hi, I'm interested in LabVIEW and would like to start replacing some of my expensive NI equipment with less expensive micro-controllers.  I see that two of the platforms are dead or dieing, is the third far behind? The LabVIEW Physical Computing kit with Digilent WF32 looks promising but I need a wired ethernet link.  Is that an option?  An add-on board?  And finally does anyone know if LabVIEW Shared variables work with this hardware?

I work at Tennessee Tech University and am often involved in DAQ projects of one sort or another.  In our Smart Grid laboratory, which is entirely based on NI LabVIEW solutions, there is a push for cheaper hardware to free up some of the more expensive NI DAQ hardware for newer projects.

Thanks so much in advance!

Just a thought: .NET has grown into a mature and capable platform. Used correctly (meaning: designing for GC avoidance), you'll spend more or less 100 % of CPU time in the instrument drivers (plain data acquisition - outside of algorithms, of course). Multi-threading with the "Task" model is very straightforward, knowing a few "gotchas" (e.g. it's user responsibility to wrap GPIB IO in a mutex, possible exhaustion of the shared task pool)
Now if cost is an issue, "free" is hard to beat. "Free", assuming you have Visual Studio available. I have actually tried Mono as "truly free" alternative with industrial production code and it worked straight out of the box but the above-mentioned "algorithm" part became notably slower.

Archived