Serial Communication using Basys MX3

Mubasher Khan

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi @Mubasher Khan,

Here is the Unit 4 Part 1: Communications - Serial Protocol for the Basys MX3.  Here is the Basys MX3 resource center. Can you be more specific about your project i.e. what connector you are trying to use to send the uart communication? Can you attach a picture of your setup? Can you attach your code?

thank you,

Jon

My project is  to control the heterogeneous device/sensors  data retrieve from multiples type of sensors are connected to one system and store somewhere in the memory and transmit that  data from this board to another board (just like Master- Slave system) and My first task to communicate the boards with each other using Serial protocols (uart, spi and i2c). so I have work on uart  using pin mode of basys Max3 board. I have done to transmit the data from a board through TX pin and Receive the Data Using RX pin on the same board, But I can not communicate the two Basys board Using Pin mode uart Module. The problem is generated on the receiver end. What will i do?    

Hi @Mubasher Khan,

Have you used an oscilloscope on JB2 to see if the data being transmitted through the TX pin is correct? Have you double checked you have the TX connected to the RX of the other Basys MX3.  Does your MPLABx project work for either Basys MX3 board or do you have a different project for each board? Are you able to attach your MPBLABx code?

thank you,

Jon 

Hello,

In the resource center we provide a library pack: https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/microprocessor/basys-mx3/basys-mx3-library, to be used with MPLAB X.

It provides two modules for UART, located in the corresponding .c source files:

uart.c provides UART functions to be used with USB - UART interface.

uart_jb.c provides UART functions to be used over pins from PMOD JB connector.

We also provide an UART demo.

Please take a look, maybe use the library or at least use the code as an inspiration (UART initialization steps from UART_Init functions, for example).

Archived