Analog Discovery 2 Overvoltage/Undervoltage Error

bucklc2

Question

Hello,

I ordered a brand new Analog Discovery bundle directly from Digilent a few weeks ago for use in a college class, but every time I have attempted to build a simple circuit and connect the board to WaveForms, I consistently get one of the two attached errors.  The components of the parts kit have been working fine but it seems like there is a problem with the amount of power being supplied to the Analog Discovery board itself.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

bucklc2

error1.png

error2.png

4 answers to this question

Hi @bucklc2,

I  moved this thread to a section where more experienced Analog Discovery 2/ WaveForms engineers look. Also the analog discovery needs to be using an external power supply that is 5 V with at least 2.5 A. I believe these errors a due to using an incorrect or faulty external power supply. Have you tried powering the Analog discovery 2 through the usb? 

thank you,

Jon

@jpeyron Yes I have been connecting the Analog Discovery directly to my laptop (Surface Book 2) through the USB and it has been generating these errors.  Everyone else in my class is able to do this without a problem with their boards and laptops so I believe it is a problem with my board specifically and it may need to be replaced.  I read on the Digilent website that this would be the place to determine if that's necessary/possible.

Hi @bucklc2,

The forums is the correct place to get help with getting digilent hardware working and or with potential RMA of Digilent hardware. Have you tried using a powered USB with the AD2. I know that some of the mac books and surfaces  limit the amperage below the .5 A with the USB connection. Please try  your AD2 board on one of your classmates computers that has a working AD2. This will be a good way to tell where the issue is.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @bucklc2 @jpeyron

This looks like a 'minor' hardware issue, with a possible software solution.
The reading is odd from the power monitor IC on the auxiliary supply. This IC should be unpowered and not to reply on I2C readings...

You can use WaveForms beta v3.8.11 and select the "Keep the USB ... ON" option in Device Manager.
This will suppress such under/overvoltage error messages.
https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/8908-waveforms-beta-download/

image.png.28dc519386a3a2dc95bbd4ba4128c924.png

It will only show such warning, like when connecting 12V to it:
image.png.2008e577c526426448acbdbaa6671b08.png

Archived