Pmod CAN board and Zedboard in SImulink environment

Cosimo

Question

Hi to everyone,

I'm new in the use of FPGA. At the moment my task is to inteface a Zedboard with Simulink and use it to generate a PWM output. Until this point everything is ok, but now, I'd like to connect a PmodCAN board (https://store.digilentinc.com/pmod-can-can-2-0b-controller-with-integrated-transceiver/ ), in order to read data from CAN bus and send to the FPGA board. The problem is that i don't know how to inteface the PmodCAN board with the FPGA Zedboard inside Simulink environment. I know that the connection need to be done through SPI protocol, but i don't have experience at all in this kind of configurations. Could someone help me in this ? Could I create a Simulink system that allows me to communicate with the two boards through SPI protocol ?

many thanks 

Cosimo

4 answers to this question

14 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Cosimo,

We do not have matlab or experience using matlab's simulink. I would suggest to reach out to mathworks support about using their software. If you were wanting to use vivado/sdk we have an IP Core for the Pmod CAN here. Here is a tutorial on using our IP's.

cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon, 

thanks for your prompt answer, i have already contacted Mathworks, they replied to me that there is no support for SPI protocol and i should develop it. Unfortunately, I'm not a software engineer so I don't know where to start in doing that. For me would be useful to get a Simulink block with SPI protocol, after that, i should be able to comunicate with the Pmod CAN

Cheers

Cosimo

Hi @Cosimo,

As @jpeyron mentioned, those of us here at Digilent haven't worked with MATLAB or Simulink so we don't have the requisite experience to create such a block. I did find a tutorial on creating a Simulink block on the MathWorks website here and here as well as a block that implements SPI for Arduino hardware here that would likely be a good reference for you in terms of creating the block.

I'm sorry we could not be of more help.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 9/28/2018 at 5:12 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Cosimo,

As @jpeyron mentioned, those of us here at Digilent haven't worked with MATLAB or Simulink so we don't have the requisite experience to create such a block. I did find a tutorial on creating a Simulink block on the MathWorks website here and here as well as a block that implements SPI for Arduino hardware here that would likely be a good reference for you in terms of creating the block.

I'm sorry we could not be of more help.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

many thanks fir your help, i'll do my best to solve it somehow

Archived