Newbie - Help with Lab setup

Dave_123

Question

Hi. I just purchased the Analog Discovery 2 for my lab class but I need some assistance to setup the lab. My professor lab notes is based on a different logic analyzer and so I need some help to setup my lab. The professor gave me the configuration for the pattern generator but I can't figure how to access these setting on the Analog Discovery 2. Here are the settings for the pattern generator:

1) Configure output (channel 0) for high logic level and output(channel 1) for a clock. The beginning and end of the sequence is 0 and 1023

2) The maximum rate is 100MS/s (10ns per sample)

2) The clock frequency is 500kHz 

3) The pattern generator channel 0 output set to +3.3V with a current up to 14mA. 

I was able to set the clock frequency but how do I configure the other settings?

Thanks

7 answers to this question

Hi @Dave_123,

Welcome to the forums. I have moved your thread to a section where more WaveForms/AD2 engineers look. I would also suggest looking at the Analog Discovery 2's  resource center here.  It has tutorials on how to use External Triggering, Measuring Current, the Impedance Analyzer, the Logic Analyzer, the Network Analyzer, the Oscilloscope, the Pattern Generator, the Power Supplies, the Protocol Analyzer, the Spectrum Analyzer, the Static I/O, the Voltmeter and the Waveform Generator.

thank you,

Jon

Thanks for your response. I am new to this and so I have a few more questions. I did install the waveform software and I added the inputs as shown but how would I adjust the other settings:  

1) The beginning and end of the sequence is 0 and 1023

2) The maximum rate is 100MS/s (10ns per sample)

3) The pattern generator channel 0 output set to +3.3V with a current up to 14mA.

The lab is to measure the response of a cmos logic gate. How would I do I see the waveform of the output. Do I open logic analyzer window? Do I use one of the I/O channel (2-15). I have never used a logic analyzer before so I am lost at the settings I have to use. I attach a copy of the requirements. I just need to know how to setup the lab with the use the analog discovery

Thanks

lab.docx

Hi @Dave_123,

I would recommend taking a look at our Logic Analyzer tutorial that is available on our wiki here, along with a number of other additional WaveForms tools tutorials on the WaveForms Resource Center.

The Digilent engineers here on the forum will not explicitly help you complete your lab, but if you wanted to view the waveform (such as the rise and fall times) of a cmos logic gate you would want to use the oscilloscope tool within WaveForms.

It also looks like your lab isn't using an Analog Discovery 2 or the WaveForms software so we can't comment on those settings; your professor or TA would be a better resource for that.

As for your other questions; I'm not certain what you mean by beginning and end of the sequence. The sample rate of the Analog Discovery 2 within hardware (to my understanding) is always running at 100 MHz but you can choose how many samples to get back; there is a specific post with some more details on this here. The pattern generator has the details you requested in it's own tutorial that is available in the WaveForms Resource Center, though the drive strength will only be 4 mA as per the Digital IO section within the Analog Discovery 2 Reference Manual here.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Thanks for your response. I'll take a look at the links you attached. I wasn't looking for the engineers to complete my lab. I only needed some help on how to find the settings are and how to use the discovery 2. I only included the document just in case the engineers did not understand what I was talking about. I was given the 2 options of logic analyzer to purchase and I opted for the discovery. Unfortunately the professor used the other analyzer for  the lab instructions.

Thanks again for your help

Hi @Dave_123

1. Probably refers to sequence repeat.
In WaveForms Pattern Generator by default the run/repeat is infinite. This is probably fine for your experiment, but you can also specify a finite Run time.

2. This probably refers to the Logic Analyzer sample rate. The sample rate is adjusted automatically based on time base, but you can also specify it manually.

3. On Analog Discovery the drive strength is not adjustable, it is 4mA.
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/reference-manual#digital_io

image.png.0052ef24ca4ab9b0ac3b455515d8f6c9.png

Archived