LINX 3.0 and RunTime 2015

lelis

Question

Finally, I've ordered the LabView 2014 and already installed. When I'm trying to install LINX3.0 via VIPM  downloaded from NI site the Runtime 2015 is requested. Do I need to install it (2015) or

looking for VIPM working on the 2014 version??? It seems that I've problem in the past with evolution version.Thanks for help.

12 answers to this question

Hi @lelis,

I spoke with another one of our engineers more familiar with LINX 3.0 and they informed me that since the videos (such as the one I linked you to) were made prior to this newer version of VIPM, so LabVIEW Runtime 2015 will be required by VIPM as it will not work with LabVIEW Runtime 2014 (as you have found out), probably because it was built with LabVIEW RunTime 2015.

Let me know how it goes if you install LabVIEW RunTime 2015 instead; it won't break things version wise if you are using the LabVIEW 2014 Home Edition.

I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

I've started with the initial version RunTime 2014 provided with the LabView.  The VIPM started but after few seconds got out without nothing to do. After I've tested with version 2015, 2018 always the same reaction. In conclusion, I started an installation manual. After downloading the  lvh_linx-3.0.1.192.vip and after its extraction I've copied all files from the File Group 0 folder into related folders (examples, help, menus, project and vi.lib) in LabView installation. Now in >>Tools I've MakerHub (before not, it was not installed). Unfortunately, after >>Tools/MakerHub/LINX/ LINX Target Configuration the VI is launched but impossible to do Run. There is an EMPY list of error displayed???? (see attached image). It seems that is missing any files. I've tried Google without success (copy VI into new page). 

I know that I've some problems with my WIN10 (updating doesn't work => VIM problems). Where is any description how to install LINX manually without VIPM??? 

LINX.JPG

Hi @lelis,

I had an old version of the VIPM (back from 2014) so my information on how to get everything installed was not up to date with the current install process, so I went through the process of downloading and installing the current release of LINX 3.0, with only having LabVIEW 2014 already installed. Here is what I did.

- Downloaded VIPM for Windows (I have Windows 10) from the LINX download page on NI's website here, it ended up installing version 2017.0.0.
- The VIPM installer said it wanted LabVIEW RunTime 2015, I told the popup to go ahead an install that in it's desired default location.
- Restarted my computer after LabVIEW RunTime and VIPM installed since the popup wanted that to be done.
- Opened up LabVIEW 2014, went to Tools->VI Package Manager
- After VIPM opened up, I searched "LINX" in it's search bar, made sure that it was showing LabVIEW 2014 as the intended version, clicked on the lone Digilent LINX result (version 3.0.1.192) that appeared, and selected the install button with the green arrow in the upper left hand corner.
- After it gave me the popup stating that it finished installing, I restarted LabVIEW to ensure the changes were implemented.
- On the main page of LabVIEW, I then clicked on Tools->MakerHub->LINX->LINX Target Configuration

You should get a GUI (that isn't in a front panel that you show) that looks like this : https://forum.digilentinc.com/gallery/image/160-linx-target-configuration/. I don't have a BeagleBone Black or Raspberry Pi on hand to test the connectivity itself, but that should be the procedure to get LINX 3.0 up and running successfully.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

A lot of thanks for your help and collaboration. After few downloads and tests now using ONLY the 32 bits for all RunTimes the VIPM is launched correctly and LINX starts to be installed but when the LINX.bin3 is loaded the installed crush with one error message. That is certainly a large step forward but not yes finished. Any way, thanks for help. I will investigate this error.

Lelis  

Capture.JPG

Hi @lelis,

Is there a particular reason why you are choosing to download LINX 3.0.0.189 rather than the LINX 3.0.1.192? Additionally, I don't know if this makes a difference if you are using VIPM to download LINX rather than a web browser, but are you using Internet Explorer as your primary browser? I have heard that particular web browser would download .vip packages as .zip's instead making it unable to be opened properly; it doesn't look like this is case for you based on your previous posts, but I figured I should check anyway.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi, I've tried different version of the LINX but the results are always the same. After downloading LINX.bin3 one VI's page is open and after few moments downloading/researching different files installing is stopped with one error message. Launching from Internet page doesn't work. I've tested VOPM with different packages and it works well.  Yesterday I've submitted one request at JKI but …. Thanks for your help

Archived