Arty_GSMB Memory Interface Generator

ngong

Question

At Step 6.4 of https://reference.digilentinc.com/arty:gsmb I not only get the expected Critical Message BD 41-1273 but two more and the block do not change (does not get more connections after Run Block Automation):

[IP_Flow 19-3460] Validation failed on parameter 'XML_INPUT_FILE(XML_INPUT_FILE)' for Specified PRJ file is not readable  'g:/workspace/vivado-examples/Arty_GSMB/Arty_GSMB.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ip/design_1_mig_7series_0_3/board.prj'
. BD Cell '/mig_7series_0'
 [BD 41-245] set_property error - Validation failed on parameter 'XML_INPUT_FILE(XML_INPUT_FILE)' for Specified PRJ file is not readable  'g:/workspace/vivado-examples/Arty_GSMB/Arty_GSMB.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ip/design_1_mig_7series_0_3/board.prj'
. BD Cell '/mig_7series_0'
Customization errors found on '/mig_7series_0'. Restoring to previous valid configuration.

[BD 41-1273] Error running apply_rule TCL procedure: ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'set_property' failed due to earlier errors.
    ::xilinx.com_bd_rule_mig_7series::apply_rule Line 24

What could be my reason for this different behavior?

Why is the file g:/workspace/vivado-examples/Arty_GSMB/Arty_GSMB.srcs/sources_1/bd/design_1/ip/design_1_mig_7series_0_3/board.prj requested and what could be the reason for its absence?

Any help welcome

Rolf

6 answers to this question

Hi Rolf,

The board.prj file contains the configuration for the Arty's DDR3 memory. It is included in our board files, which you should have downloaded and installed already. If not you can find the tutorial for installing them here. Inside the Arty/C.0/ folder, you'll see mig.prj which contains this config data. I just realized that this tutorial is a bit old, so I'm going to try to update it today. The new method is much more straightforward and should be up in a couple of hours.

Tommy

Yes, thank you very much Tommy, JColvin.

worked out fine now - can see Hello world in the terminal. Looking forward to build my own peripheral.

The reason why it did not work in the first place was different from what we thought: I usually develop on Linux. Unfortunately Xilinx does not distribute for (the famous and widespread, rock solid) Debian Jessy distribution - actually Mint LMDE. That is why I have installed VirtualBox and win7 as a guest. However, the assigned disk is not as large as with a usual desktop. Therefore I used to store anything possible to drive G:\, which is mapped away to the Linux disk. I had no trouble so far with this mapping and I am using this configuration for years now.

Trying the new tutorial - which is a lot easier, thank you again - I ran into similar access failure messages as mentioned above. However now got the idea to try on C:\ - which cut the Gordian knot.

Kind Reards

Rolf

Archived