Linx 3.0 on raspberry pi crashes dhcp server?

arnz

Question

Hi All,

Checking with you guys my experience setting up Linx 3.0 on the Raspberry pi 3 Model B+. I was toying on this cool tool that may be of use to me.

On the raspberry pi, I assigned a static IP address to Raspberry Pi which changed its original IP (dynamic IP assigned).

Then on Labview 2017, I  Ran the Linx 3.0 Target Configuration, What I did: I typed in the new static IP address and connected to the pi. Went to network settings, There were two options on the network settings window, the lo and the eth0. it seemed that eth0 is the new static IP and l0 was the old dynamic IP. So I selected the eth0 and saved the settings. But after rebooting the raspberry pi, it didn't communicate to labview anymore and found out it changed the IP of the raspberry pi to the lo settings (the original assigned dynamic IP).

Debugging: I noticed on the raspberry pi ifconfig that it replaced the static IP address of the Raspberry Pi to the dynamic IP it had originally. and our IT came to me telling me we have a dhcp server crash, could the raspberry pi or Linx 3.0 had something to do with it?

1 answer to this question

Hey arnz,

lo is the loopback adapter.  It's a virtual network adapter that just 'loops back' any network traffic sent to it.  You can ignore it for what you're doing.

It sounds like when you use LabVIEW to configure the network adapter it somehow saved the old (DHCP) IP as the static IP.  I don't have the software in front of me, but off the top of my head I can't think of a good explination of how this would happen.  Can you post a screenshot of the selection(s) you made in the network config menu?

It's good practice to not manually assign IP addresses that are in the range that the DHCP server is leasing out, but it shouldn't cause a DHCP server to crash.  If it did it may be an indication that the DHCP server is misconfigured.

-Kristoff

Archived