Sign in to follow this  
csp

Digital Discovery Board SDK Channel Numbers

Question

Hi

I am new to the DD, and I thought this might be a good device to obtain readouts at high speed from my photon counter that outputs a 3.3v pulse every single time it receives a photon. The maximum speed it can go is at about 25ns per output. So I looked through some of the examples in the SDK (so I can automate the process, without having to save the data file each time and process it later).

1) It is not clear to me how I can extract the data from each channel using the SDK, or rather how I can specify which channel to log the data

2) I am wondering what is the maximum throughput, in the case I want to obtain data from multiple photon counters (e.g. 8 channels at 100MHz)

3) Also, if I implement a script to do a mathematical routine which will compress the amount of data (e.g. number of pulses over a period of time, or mean and std of pulses over a given time) is the script implemented on board or after it arrives in the cpu (post processed)?

4) Would I be able to get the time (or ticks) the pulse is received so that the data load is greatly reduced (since I do not necessarily need the 0s in the pulse stream).

Thanks.

1 answer to this question

Hi @csp

1. See the following example:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Digilent/WaveFormsSDK/samples/py/ DigitalIn_Acquisition.py

With the FDwfDigitalInSampleFormatSet you specify how many bits (DIOs or DINs) you want for each sample 8, 16 or 32
Use the FDwfDigitalInStatusData the get an array (like rgData[1000]) of samples as 8, 16 or 32 bit values.
The samples are bit fields of DIOs and/or DINs. The least significant bit is DIN0, the seconds DIN1...
DIN0 = (rgData>>0)&1
DIN1 = (rgData>>1)&1
DIN2 = (rgData>>2)&1

2. With Digital Discovery you can capture 32 lines at up to 200MHz, or 16 lines at up to 400MHz, or 8 lines at up to 800MHz

3. The custom application using WaveForms SDK as well the Script in the WaveForms application are running on the host computer not on the device.

4. No, but you can capture 64M samples at once, process the data then perform a new capture.

If you want real-time and continuous monitoring of such inputs it would be more suitable an FPGA/CPLD development board.
https://store.digilentinc.com/fpga-development-boards-kits-from-digilent/

image.thumb.png.186eaeeba02fb06cf20a24888f7b5146.png