Portability of VIs between professional and Home Labview

Jonathan B

Question

Hi all,

I'm a user of Labview 2011 professional at work, and am in the fortunate position of being able to do some personal projects during lunch times etc.

If I leave my job then all would have been lost to me if I hadn't discovered Labview home edition, which I'm looking at buying.

But I'm not sure whether the VI's from LV professional will run under LV home, and I can't find anything about this. Does anybody know?

Also, what is the story about using VISA with LV home? is it included, or an add on?

Thanks, Jonathan.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Jonathan B,

I don't have LabVIEW 2011 so I can't readily speak towards this, but I believe in general you will be able to open VI's from 2011 in LabVIEW 2014 without too much issue, as indicated by this chart from National Instruments. The only potential drawback that I could see is if the personal projects you are working on are using modules that are not part of LabVIEW Home Edition. More specifically, these are the materials that are part of LabVIEW Home Edition:

LabVIEW 2014 Full Development System
LabVIEW Control Design and Simulation Module
LabVIEW MathScript RT Module
LabVIEW Application Builder Module

If you had material from a different module (such as the FPGA module) you would need to purchase access to that module separately if you wanted to use those VIs.

As for NI VISA, I believe you can just download it from National Instruments website directly since they do not have any licensing associated with it that I am aware of. I believe you only need it though if you are using something like LabVIEW Makerhub's LINX to communicate with some external boards via USB.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks JColvin.  I am aware of the backwards compatibility between versions of labView.  You can open VI's from an earlier version in a later version of Lavbiew.

What it does do is to convert them for that version, so they cannot be used again in the earlier version (Unless you specifically save for that version)

My concern was more about the licencing, and whether one version would lock out VI's from another version. I'm certain that NI would not rely solely

on people's honesty to not use the home version commercially!

I will need to research the differences between LV Full Dev system and the professional edition. You raised a good point here, as I know that there are some VIs in Pro which are not in full dev.

Archived