BASYS2 - Adept testing

Louise

Question

I recently got my BASYS2 board. I installed the ISE Design Suite and Adept.

I appear to have problems with the LEDs and the 4 buttons on the board.
In Adept, when I run the test, I get the following issues. When I flip any of the last 4 switches (SW4 - SW7) on the board, on the screen the switch is shown correctly but the button below the flipped switch also darkens. Pressing any of the four buttons on the board has no effect on the screen buttons display.

Is there something wrong with my board or is there something I need to do to fix this?

4 answers to this question

Hello Louise,

I'm a little confused about the issue you are experiencing. Are you saying that in your Adept test, if you flip any of the last four switches that the button icons below become grayed out? Could you attach a picture of your issue so that I can better understand what's going on? 

Also, have you tried any demo code to test that your buttons and switches are working correctly?

Thanks,

Mikel

I have attached a screen capture. In this test, I flipped switches SW1, SW6, SW7. As you can see, the buttons below SW6 and SW7 also darken when SW6 and SW7 are flipped. So as I said, when I flip any of the last 4 switches (SW4 - SW7) on the board, on the screen the switch is shown correctly but the button below the flipped switch also darkens.

Pressing the buttons (BTN0 to BTN3) has no effect on the screen display.

I have not tried any demo code. Do you have something I should try?

I did have a class assignment that utilized the switches and the LEDs (LD0 to LD7). The card worked correctly when I used the first four LEDs (LD0 to LD3).
But when I used the first 6 LEDs (LD0 to LD5), LD2 and LD3 no longer worked - they stayed off during any movement of the input switches. My professor tried my code on his board and it worked perfectly.

My second assignment utilized the switches (SW0 to SW7) and the display (AN0 to AN3). I had no problems.

So my problem seems to be that the LEDs do not work properly, maybe only four can be utilized at a time - I don't know. Also the buttons don't work, as per the test.

The switches are already very clean. As I said I just got the board and I keep it stored in the case when not in use. I have had the problem since I took it out of the box.

Adept-Test-Screen1.jpg

Hello,

You should be able to use all 8 LEDs at any time, there is no restriction on this matter.

Even if the swicthes "look" clean, maybe they have odd contacts, so cleaning them could help. 

Please program the board with  Basys 2 User Demo project available on the Basys2 page https://reference.digilentinc.com/basys2:basys2.(https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/basys2:basys2userdemo.zip).

All the Leds are controlled by the corresponding switches. Please describe how your board behaves.

Archived