aliumair

how to link device tree bin to u-boot binary?

Question

Hi

My first post to this forum.

I am trying to compile U-boot for my Zybo board. I cloned U-boot from Github Xilinx. In the U-boot dir, I ran the following make commands:

> make zynq_zybo_config

> make

Make went fine and created u-boot executable.

I loaded and ran fsbl first. It went fine and I saw right output on terminal.

Then I load u-boot and tried running it and got the following error

No valid device tree binary found - please append one to U-Boot binary, use u-boot-dtb.bin or define CONFIG_OF_EMBED. For sandbox, use -d <file.dtb>

Can somebody help me understand how to append u-boot-dtb.bin to u-boot bin. I can see u-boot-dtb.bin in the same directory where I have u-boot file.

An advance thanks :)

7 answers to this question

Hi @aliumair,

Here is an older Instructable for using the U-BOOT and the Zybo. It uses Vivado 2016.1 but should be similar process with a newer version of Vivado.

On the resource center here  under Additional Resources there is the SD card OOB QSPI Demo that should be helpful with how the device tree and u-boot files should look.  For the SD card OOB QSI Demo copy the files found in this compressed file to a microSD card and boot the ZYBO from it to restore the Quad SPI flash with the factory default. It will take several minutes to complete. 

The Zybo Base System Design in the Additional resources might be a good source of information as well.

Another good source of information is the ZYNQ Book here.

cheers,

Jon

All that needs to be done in this case is add the CONFIG_OF_EMBED option to your U-Boot defconfig file and then recompile.  this will embed the device tree inside the U-boot binary image.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:48 AM, svet-am said:

hello svet-am

can you please tell me how to add CONFIG_OF_EMBED file ,,i mean can you tell me exact path for adding this file

thank-you

Please follow these instructions to build a petalinux image for Zybo.

To build just u-boot, run

petalinux-build -c u-boot

The command in the document that packs BOOT.BIN is 

petalinux-package --boot --force --fsbl images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf --fpga images/linux/system_wrapper.bit --u-boot