Simple "hello world" example fails to run on zybo z7010!

ahmrah01

Question

Hi,

I've recently bought a Zybo z7010 board and had a go at running the example given here: https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-getting-started-with-zynq/start#tutorial

The bitstream was generated successfully as expected but when I load the application on to the Zynq PS, I observe that:

• None of the LEDs are lit when the corresponding buttons are flicked.
  • No message is displayed on the UART console when any of the switches are pressed.

Can anyone provide some hints on how would I go about debugging the issue?

Some info w.r.t my build environment:

• Bitstream generated using Vivado 2016.4 (Windows 10)
  • Power source: wall (JP7 set to Wall)
  • JP5 set to JTAG.
  • Cable: simple USB cable which came with my smartphone. (When JP5 is set to QSPI, I can see u-boot booting a preloaded busybox image so the cable seems to be working fine.)

Please advise.

Regards,

ahmrah01

11 answers to this question

Did you install the Digilent board files as described in the prerequisites section of the tutorial? They can be found here.

If not, and you tried to follow the tutorial exactly, you may have selected the older Zybo board which has some differences as described here.

In step 1.6 of the Getting Started tutorial, make sure you select the Zybo Z7-10 and not the Zybo as shown in this snip.

image.png.5440837384178fa03efaea33a969c850.png

If you have correctly specified the board, it should be reflected in the Project Summary that you see when the Project Manager node is selected in the Flow Navigator as shown below.

image.png.d609d6ac2d4005c3bfc71466b86b2cb8.png

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, i can confirm that the board file was selected correctly (downloaded from Digilent github)  as shown below.

image.thumb.png.b7c5a2d31f1d17491044e044ba826e00.png

Here's the block diagram:

image.thumb.png.a350e7be513c2b4dbca8476f93b581aa.png

I've also noticed that the system clock isn't connected to anything. Is this expected?

image.png.e41e7f5b99367f03df323d2f12069761.png

The system clock does not need to be connected.

Did you make sure to select "Include bitstream" in step 7 where you exported the hardware to the SDK?

Does the "Done" led on the board illuminate after programming the FPGA in step 11.1?

Did you select "Run as..." or "Debug as..." in step 11.3? If you selected "Debug as..." the system maybe be sitting at a breakpoint at the start of your application.

If you had selected "Debug as..." and are sitting at a breakpoint, the SDK would have prompted you that it was switching to debug perspective and you would see something like this. Nothing would function until you told it to "continue" by either hitting F8 or clicking the icon in the toolbar.

image.png.97c053329c20b024ddb706da46cda4e9.png

22 hours ago, kwilber said:

The system clock does not need to be connected.

--- OK.

Did you make sure to select "Include bitstream" in step 7 where you exported the hardware to the SDK?

--- See below:

image.png.9a9b67e7a6a818ed9cac92c930e9d0b3.png

Does the "Done" led on the board illuminate after programming the FPGA in step 11.1?

-- See below:

image.png.b9eb281ac89c6bf34fc027892d4b48ef.png

image.png.5c8dac823f92f40db2f66b902a08ea34.png

22 hours ago, kwilber said:

Did you select "Run as..." or "Debug as..." in step 11.3? If you selected "Debug as..." the system maybe be sitting at a breakpoint at the start of your application.

--- I've selected "Run as ...". See below:

image.png.94e1920b3524d0eda49773016a5ff248.png

--- No output on the serial terminal and no LEDs lit up when switches are pressed.

P.S: One important thing that I've noticed is that the Hardware Manager in Vivado reports of there being no debug cores. Is this expected?

image.png.0d3c6fba0e6651a17ad3723d98d203d6.png

If you had selected "Debug as..." and are sitting at a breakpoint, the SDK would have prompted you that it was switching to debug perspective and you would see something like this. Nothing would function until you told it to "continue" by either hitting F8 or clicking the icon in the toolbar.

image.png

The board pictured is an original Zybo, not a Zybo Z7-10. The most obvious way to tell is the Zybo has a vga port. The Zybo Z7-10 and Zybo Z7-20 have two hdmi ports.

If you in fact have a Zybo and not a Zybo Z7-10, I recommend redoing the the tutorial from the beginning and this time select the Zybo in step 1.6.

12 minutes ago, kwilber said:

The board pictured is an original Zybo, not a Zybo Z7-10. The most obvious way to tell is the Zybo has a vga port. The Zybo Z7-10 and Zybo Z7-20 have two hdmi ports.

If you in fact have a Zybo and not a Zybo Z7-10, I recommend redoing the the tutorial from the beginning and this time select the Zybo in step 1.6.

Thanks for pointing this out ... this is very strange since I had originally ordered a zybo z7010 from digikey. I'll sort it out with them.

Archived