Astro-Smart

Analog Discovery 2 Protocol Decoding Add ON Request

Question

To Digilent Staff and Technical Designers,

Can you guys please add "ASCII" to the protocol decoding. Currently, HEX is the only available decode. Adding BIN and DEC would be nice as well. Every decoder out there has more than one option. If you add this feature you will only get more praise and more sales.

Thanks

Dale

18 answers to this question

Attila, from what I saw in the current bus options for Logic Analyzer,  does not have "ASCII" as an option. If not, can you please add "ASCII" as an option in LA and protocol analyzer?

Thanks

Dale

Hi @Astro-Smart

In the LA you can select binary, decimal, hexadecimal and various signed representations for each interpreter. The ascii representation is only available only under uart, sine only this has such traditional meaning.

For which protocol(s) would you need ascii?

Hi Attila,

I currently, need ASCII for I2C, SPI data byte payloads. Baring that, are you saying RS232 with UART has ASCII? I need it as well for RS232 as I send and receive string commands on all these buses.

Thanks

Dale

Hi @Astro-Smart

I'm working other requests like: drawing improvements, Hex/Dec/ASCII option for the Protocol tool SPI/I2C...
Once done and tested, I hope by the end of this week, I will build and publish a beta version.

I am not sure what he meant either other than confusing the request or requesting a  more complicated interface. Bottom, line is if you don't want it, deselect it and use another decoder. Its pretty simple. 

Anyway, can you release or give the Beta out to me for testing. I really need this and appreciate your efforts in adding this.

Thanks

Dale

@attila, @Astro-Smart

I am referring to Protocol window, where I can see ASCII representation of data.

I am not sure if this representation will be visible in Protocol window only when it is selected in Logic, or permanently.

If it is visible only when selected in Logic I think it would be ok, but permanently displaying ASCII in Protocol window may be confusing in some general use cases.