Analog Discovery Erased!

Zatzfara

Question

I bought my Analog Discovery and everything was working fine.

Due to some works, I had to download an FTDI driver that apparently crashed with some of the USB compatibilities, including the Analog Discovery.

I contacted the customer services and told me to install and use the REMOVED LINK

NOW THE PROBLEM IS THAT NO PC RECOGNIZE IT!!!

Before, I only had the problem with my PC, but now I can't use. Whenever I plug it, the waveforms of no PC recognize it, the red led doesn't light.

I attached a picture showing what mi computer detects.

Please I'm desperate. I need the device for my thesis.

Thank you in advance for your time.

post-238-0-31779000-1417992536_thumb.png

11 answers to this question

First of all, please do not share on forum such confidential information, like the link to the repair application.

The mentioned application can program multiple types of USB devices. The problem was that you didn't select the proper device preset.

Make sure to have only the Analog Discovery connected to you computer.

In Windows Device Manager:

- Select Update Driver Software

- Browse to "C:\Program Files\Digilent\Runtime\UsbDriver" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Digilent\Runtime\UsbDriver" on 64bit Windows

- Next

- Install

Open the repair application,

- Press "Find devices"

- Make sure to have only one device detected.

- Under preset select Discovery !

- Program

- Cycle

Thank you so much.

It worked just fine.

In the case someone has the same problem I did. I couldn't update the driver directly.

The steps I did were:

- Browse my computer for driver software

- Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

- Have a disk. Then browse for DigilentRuntimeUsbDriver and install one each time: "dmodusb.inf", "ftdibus.inf", "ftdiport.inf".

- Under Manufacturer -> FTDI, and under model -> USB Serial Converter

Thank you again por your time

I am back to trying to sort a similar problem.  After doing quite a bit of investigating, trying to reinstall device drivers and recommended via an email from Diligent support, and having not gotten anywhere, I still have an Analog Discovery that will not work (Windows 7 64-bit reports it as Unknown Device).  As I mentioned in my initial call and email to support the unit will also not work (unrecognized device) on another (virgin) computer.

Is it possible that the FTDI Serial/USB device has been wiped (erased)?  I know there are may posts on the internet about and FTDI driver release (via Windows Update) that was wiping what FTDI was calling fake chips.

What is this repair application that some people are mentioning?  Can I get it to try it??

Tx,

Matthew

We use original USB controller chips.

The "Unknown device" indicates missing driver or hardware failure.

Please verify the Hardware IDs of the device in Windows Device Manager:

- USB\VID_0403&PID_6014: the device is identified correctly
    Make sure to install WaveForms including the Adept Runtime section which contains the USB driver. 
    Make sure the driver version is 2.12.0 or 2.10.0. The new 2.12.6 seems to work correctly too, but 2.12.4 is wrong. See the steps above to update the driver.

- UNKNOWN or USB\VID_0000&PID_0000: hardware problem
    Try using another cable, USB plug and computer.

Clipboard01.png

Attila,

I would certainly expect that you do use original chips.  Trouble is, that perhaps something got messed up along the way - at the very least there is a bunch of concern in the market place about FTDI's actions to brick what they think are fake parts.  My Analog Discovery is perhaps acting like it has been bricked.

I say that because I have followed the advice of the forum posts, the advice of Sergiu Arpadi from your support@diligentinc.com, and my own ponderings with no success.  Specifically, for the record once again, I have used different USB cords including short cords, uninstalled and reinstalled the complete software package (drivers, WaveForms, and the runtime), checked / reverted to the 2.12.0.0 driver, AND, as I have pointed out to Sergiu Arpadi yet again, installed the complete package onto two other computers (virgins) with the same results.

This leaves a logical person to conclude that the issues is either 1) the Analog Discovery has been bricked by the FTDI driver (for what reason I do not know), or 2) the Analog Discovery has a hardware failure.  To address the first possibility, it would seem logical to use the "Repair Tool" that is mentioned in this post, to which you have some knowledge of from your earlier replies to Zatzfara.  I am leaning toward the first possibility as being most likely since Windows recognizes there is a USB device connected (so not a complete hardware failure), but is apparently not able to get device information from the Analog Discovery in order to match it up with the correct driver - Device Manager states "Unknown Device" and further drill down shows "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)" and Hardware IDs are reported as "USB/UNKNOWN".

Tx,

Matthew

The repair tool would help when the device is recognized (USB/VID/PID), but due to the erased EEPROM the application does not detect it.

In your case unfortunately the device is not recognized, which means damaged hardware, USB controller. The warranty details will be discussed through the support email.

I was expericing a very similar problem to Zatzfara.

Using windows 10, Whenever I plugged my analog discovery device into it was not being detected by the Waveforms program (tried multiple versions). Device manager showed driver version 2.14.2.0 which was said to be an incorrect version? Not certain as to what happened in a few months on my computer but I previously used the Discovery board in November on this same computer with no issues. 

Solution was exactly as Zatzfara described, thank you very much!

solution in quote below.

Thank you so much.

It worked just fine.

In the case someone has the same problem I did. I couldn't update the driver directly.

The steps I did were:

- Browse my computer for driver software

- Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer

- Have a disk. Then browse for DigilentRuntimeUsbDriver and install one each time: "dmodusb.inf", "ftdibus.inf", "ftdiport.inf".

- Under Manufacturer -> FTDI, and under model -> USB Serial Converter

Thank you again por your time

On 9/9/2015 at 3:08 AM, attila said:

Usamos chips de controlador USB originales.

El "Dispositivo desconocido" indica falta del controlador o falla del hardware.

Verifique las ID de hardware del dispositivo en el Administrador de dispositivos de Windows:

- USB \ VID_0403 y PID_6014: el dispositivo se identifica correctamente
    . Asegúrese de instalar WaveForms, incluida la sección Adept Runtime, que contiene el controlador USB. 
    Asegúrese de que la versión del controlador sea 2.12.0 o 2.10.0. El nuevo 2.12.6 parece funcionar correctamente también, pero el 2.12.4 es incorrecto. Vea los pasos anteriores para actualizar el controlador.

- DESCONOCIDO o USB \ VID_0000 y PID_0000: problema de hardware
    Intente utilizar otro cable, conector USB y computadora.

Clipboard01.png

Thank you @attila

Your recommendation is useful.
I have my Analog Discovery 1 running.
The problem is that in my despair I thought that my Analog discovery 1 had failed and I discarded the potentiometers.

Will you have what is the value that each potentiometer has to calibrate it?
I have acquired an Analog Discovery 2 because the channels in my Analog Discovery 1 are failing since I disarmed it.

Greetings.

Archived