Pmod MTDS display on ZED board

Akshay Bhat

Question

Hello ,

I am using the Pmod AD5 and Pmod MTDS on the Zedboard

I am connecting the pmod AD5 with a simple POT and giving different values it. From the demo example in the mtds ip I got  to know that display images are store in the file with .bmp  in SD card then invoked when needed 

My problem is i have nearly 500 values in to be displayed so , my question Is there any way to dynamically generate the .bmp file to the MTDS and display it when we give the different values from the AD5 ?

Regards

Akshay

9 answers to this question

Hello @Akshay Bhat,

Please check this forum thread : 

. You will find in there a demo project for Zedboard that uses the Pmod interface to communicate with the the PMOD MTDS. You can use that project to provide your hardware platform.

You are right, it's not an good idea to store 500 images on an sd card and try to dynamically swap them. My recommendation for you it's to go with this function:  MTDS::TextOut(hds, xco, yco, cchText, rgchText). This function will draw the specified text string at the specified location. The only problem it's that you cannot change the char size. This feature it's not yet implemented into the mtds.h library. To see how exactly this function work, you can run MtdsTest22() from the same project. Also for more information please download the Arduino IDE  from the fallowing link https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/mtds/start. 

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca

The reply was helpful and thanks for the reply

I was using the ZED board i saw many pmod connection in that which pmod if preferred to MTDS in pmod_out and spi_out? 

If  I get any demo project where the Pmod MTDS is working that will be really helpful to understand the flow and also if a user manual if available.

Regards

Akshay

Hello @Akshay Bhat,

Attached to this message you will find a demo project that uses the pmod interface to communicate with the the PMOD MTDS. The connection with your ZedBoard needs to be made trough the PMOD JD.  If you want demos along with documentation for this IP-core please download the Arduino IDE from the fallowing link : https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/mtds/start .

You are having the pmod version of this device, so it's more naturally to go with the pmod interface. We also have a shield version, please check this link : https://store.digilentinc.com/multi-touch-display-shield-smart-display/ . If you encounter any kind of problems, please tag me. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca 

zedboard_pmod_interface_demo_(1).rar

This answer was really helpful.

I am new to SDK and I just tried to get the files as u did in the demo example but i am not able to extract the few files in the SDK, I think i am missing some steps, can u please send me the step to get all  the files in these  ''zedboard_demo" and .''zedboard_demo_bsp" ?

With regards 

Akshay

Hello @Akshay Bhat,

The project was created in Vivado 2017.4. If you are using a different version of Vivado, you need to update your IP-core and regenerate the bitstream and finally export it into your current work-space.  So, in order to open the project, please fallow the next steps:

1. Go in Search Window and type "Xilinx SDK 2017.4". After you find SDK, click on it. 

2. Click on browse, and search "zedboard_pmod_interface_demo.sdk" folder. 

Capture.PNG.62e4c57bfd685ee602e2517736fb5f17.PNG

3. Your work-space should be open. 

Capture_2.thumb.PNG.3393a0a002e2ef3f1e9d963021e0eb07.PNG

4. Program FPGA. Check if LED Done is on.

39984958_254310082078800_3485071317357559808_n.thumb.jpg.e80a0be777197018c2dc86d2770e92ad.jpg

5. Right click on zedboard_demo and click on "Run As" and after that on "Lunch on Hardware". 

352428478_capture4.thumb.png.388c807c461f5f8596b6488154c6d173.png

6. Be mesmerized :).

40008554_2171104636483695_8153354499256221696_n.thumb.jpg.a8c144329269b56a451036c4415ce356.jpg

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca

Thank you for the Reply 

Yes the project what u sent works

I just wanted  in the same way do to in my project so i asked u the steps how to do the in the SDK ?

In Which i have to my own program to run on the FPGA, the error i am getting is in setup and loop are not defined in the main.c 

So if u can help me with this that will be really helpful for my project ...

sorry for the trouble...

With Regards

Akshay

Archived