Using DDR3 to store data from OV7670 camera with the ZYBO.

BoZy

Question

Hello,

I was working on a project with the OV7670 using the Nexys3 developement board. The goal was to design a camera via the OV7670 module. Data from the module is stored in celluar RAM since there aren't enough Block Ram. The image is then displayed via the VGA ouput into a screen.

I want now to improve the project by using the ZYBO. By using the new developement board, the next step is to make a webcam by using the same module. So my idea is to store data from the module into the DDR memory. So I've done some research about the zynq architecture and watched several videos about the DMA AXI. But I still don't know how to interface it with my design.

So I'm wondering if anyone successfully used the DDR memory to store data in VHDL design ?

1 answer to this question

Hi @BoZy,

The Zybo has a Zynq processor. The DDR3 is directly connected to the PS of the Zynq processor.  I believe you will need to use the PS to use the DDR3 for the Zybo. Here is a post about using the  OV7670 and the Zybo in VHDL not using the DDR3.  The Zybo board files configures the Zynq processor. Here is a tutorial for installing the board files. You could use the add a module to use the vhdl code for the OV7670 as discussed here.  You could also create an IP Core for the OV7670 as discussed here.

thank you,

Jon

ZYNQ.jpg

Archived