AJS

Question

Hello am new to this to and this is bit confusing.

Am working with Pmod MTDS and trying to use Pmod MTDS IP in zedboard board. I have used the library and board files as stated by Digilent. Problem is when i use MTDS in spi interface mode and i get only 4 pins in IO planing list and reset pin (pin 8 in Pmod MTDS device) is missing.  Can anyone tell me how to get that reset pin or am i doing it worng? 

2nd question is what data has to be written to the mtds to display it in device? I mean if i need to display number " 1 " then what am i supposed to send to MTDS ip?

And last question what is pmod interface port?  I see 2 interface geting added when i include Vivado digilent IP library in IP settings in vivado , what  are those interface port?

Am sorry for asking silly question but i am not finding ans to these anywhere else.

Thank You

AJS

11 answers to this question

Hello @AJS,

I'v done some research and I found out the function the keeps the Display in reset until it gets initialized. In my opinion you don't have to do anything in this direction because at system startup, the display board automatically performs its power-on reset processing and initializes itself. The fallowing function: "bool MtdsHalResetDisplay(int pinSel)" it's only used to keep the system in stand-by until it gets initialized. By default the return value of this function is false, if you want to force the reset, you have to change it to true and modify the number of seconds for which your system it is in reset. For this, you need to go in  mtds.cpp at line 180. The reset pin is active high. Please check Pmod MTDS schematic from the fallowing link 

https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/reference/pmod/pmodmtds/pmodmtds_sch.pdf

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca

Hello @AJS,

Please see if the following thread give you a solution : 

1. "Can anyone tell me how to get that reset pin or am i doing it worng? "

In that case I didn't included the reset pin.

2. "I mean if i need to display number " 1 " then what am i supposed to send to MTDS ip"

For drawing numbers or letters you can use a specific library or you can copy an "1" bitmap file  on an SD card and upload it from there. For more information you can download the Arduino IDE from here : https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/mtds/start. You will find in there along with all the libraries, an extremely well detailed document that describes all you need to know in order to work with this device.     

3."And last question what is pmod interface port?"

Please check this link https://www.digilentinc.com/Pmods/Digilent-Pmod_ Interface_Specification.pdf

If you are still struggling, please tell me the exact Vivado Version that you use, and I will send you two demo projects for both interfaces. 

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca

Thank you for your response.

How can i include the reset pin? and  what will that reset do?

Am using Vivado 2017.4 and trying to use MTDS with zedboard and custom board consisting of part XC7Z020CLG400I, demo projects using zedboad (with reset pin) would be really helpful.

Am very grateful to you, thank you.

Regards,

Ajs

Hello @AJS,

Attached to this message you will find a demo project that uses the pmod interface to communicate with the the PMOD MTDS. The connection with your ZedBoard needs to be made trough the PMOD JD. The problem with the reset pin it's a little bit more complicated because: "The Multi-Touch Display Shield doesn't support software controlled reset and is automatically reset whenever the host board is reset.The PmodMTDS doesn't get reset automatically and needs to be reset under software control when the system initializes.The pinSel parameter can be used to determine which pin needs to be toggled to reset the display." So, one idea would be to add a gpio-ip core to this block design and use it to toggle the reset pin.  

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca

zedboard_pmod_interface_demo.rar

Hello, 

Thank you for the demo files, can you specify what is the function of pin 8 that is rest pin in the device?

Is it active high or active low? and what happens when reset is asserted and when should be assert it?

Thank you,

Regards,

Ajs

Thank you for your response, a very neat and clear explanation and right on what i wanted to find.

One last question on this MTDS, do we have any Pmod drivers or PmodMTDS drivers in linux? 

Regards,

Ajs

Hello @AJS,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say by "PmodDrivers". If you want to get more familiar with Zynq architectures and IP-cores I recommend to you to go trough this tutorial:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/playground/getting-started-with-ipi/start

If you want demos along with documentation for this IP-core please download the Arduino IDE from the fallowing link https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/mtds/start.

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca 

On 8/17/2018 at 7:14 PM, BogdanVanca said:

"The connection with your ZedBoard needs to be made trough the PMOD JD."

Hello,

Is there any specific reason why it has to be connected to Pmod JD?

Regards,

Ajs

Archived