Arty Z7 echo server

Antonio Fasano

Question

I have been looking for an example project to use the Echo server on the Arty-Z7. when I try to complile the echo server software under SDK, it ocmplains I need to add a MAC IP to the block design, but I cannot find the right one, because connection automation will not run properly with the ones I find in the repository. Where can I find the correct MAC IP to run the echo server on teh Arty-Z7 ?

15 answers to this question

Hi @Antonio Fasano,

Do you have the Arty-Z7-20 or the Arty-Z7-10? What version of vivado are you using?

Here is a tutorial for the Zybo that should be easily followed for the Arty-Z7 using the ethernet Echo server.

Additionally, the reference manual here in section 9 Ethernet PHY discusses that the Zynq incorporates two independent Gigabit Ethernet Controllers. They implement a 10/100/1000 half/full duplex Ethernet MAC. On an Ethernet network each node needs a unique MAC address. To this end, the one-time-programmable (OTP) region of the Quad-SPI flash has been programmed at the factory with a 48-bit globally unique EUI-48/64™ compatible identifier. The OTP address range [0x20;0x25] contains the identifier with the first byte in transmission byte order being at the lowest address. Refer to the Flash memory datasheet for information on how to access the OTP regions. 

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Antonio Fasano,

Here is a forum thread that discusses getting the pynq board using the LWiP echo server. The Arty-Z7-20 is a very similar board. The Arty-Z7-20's board files can be used with the pynq board. The project linked in the forum threat will work with the Arty-Z7-20 as well. Please attach the screen shots of the usb uart and ethernet connection using tera term as described in the zybo tutorial linked above for the echo server.

thank you,

Jon

Hi, Jon,I have already run the echo server application on the Original Arty board with Microblaze and it worked fine.

Now I have tried it as per the "Getting Started with Zynq Servers' instructions and it does not work. After programming the FPGA, SDK generates and error when trying to launch the program. Screenshot of the error message attached.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Antonio

ARTY-Z7-20 ERROR IN ECHO SERVER.bmp

Hi, Jon,

I checked and my jumper was really set to QSPI. I will set it to JTAG and try again. 

Question: How come I have already loaded several successful projects with that jumper set to QSPI ?

Why the Echo Server project was the first one showing the need for JP4 be at JTAG ?

Thanks

Antonio

Hi @Antonio Fasano,

Programming an HDL project(using the PL) from JTAG or QSPI mode in Vivado hardware manager does not make an error with a ZYNQ processor development board. The QSPI flash is directly connected to the PS. The SDK is used to program the QSPI flash for the ZYNQ  processor. This error occurs in SDK when the mode is set to QSPI and then running the application.

thank you,

Jon  

Hi, Jon,

The echo server application has worked flawlessly on the Arty-Z7-20 board. However, I noticed that although the software defines the IP of the board as 192.168.1.10, after enumeration by the router it really is assigned as 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3.  I though DHCP wou dnot be able to redefine it in the PHY. Strange, isn´t it ?

Another question: How can I get a snapshot of a project to keep it safe and stored away while I try some modifications on it ?

Is there any way to do it in Vivado 2018 ?

Thank you !!!

Archived