Accessing the FMC pins on the ZedBoard

Aggie

Question

Hello, I will be connecting a board to the ZedBoard via the FMC pins. I found something telling me which pins are which: https://fmchub.github.io/appendix/VITA57_FMC_HPC_LPC_SIGNALS_AND_PINOUT.html

However, I am really confused on how to use Vivado to connect to these pins. After extensive googling, I see some people mention using a GPIO as the peripheral to do this. I am new to working with boards, and so far I have followed some demos on how to use a GPIO to connect to the LEDs on the Zedboard. How may I use the GPIO to connect to the individual pins on the FMC? Any guidance in the right direction is appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Hi @Aggie,

Unfortunately, I do not have much experience using the FMC. Here is a tutorial/reference design using and FMC on the Zedboard. I would also look at the 7 Series FPGAs Transceivers Wizard v3.6 LogiCORE IP Product Guide as well. On the bottom of the Zedboard resource center here is the FPGA Package Pins to FMC PDF.

thank you,

Jon

@Aggie

Ideally you should be looking at this for your FMC connection.

https://github.com/Digilent/digilent-xdc/blob/master/Zedboard-Master.xdc

You can copy and paste the above xdc file as your top level xdc file. Then just enable only those FMC pins which you are using in your design (yes of course input clocks, resets, anything else your design is using should also be enabled).

Hello @Aggie,

" How may I use the GPIO to connect to the individual pins on the FMC?" Exactly how you used it for connecting to the LEDS. Also I recommend to you to go with the fallowing constraints:

set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS25 // I/O Standard 
set_property SLEW SLOW // slew rate
set_property DRIVE 4 //drive strength in mA 
set_property PULLUP true //  well, you know what this means 

Best Regards,

Bogdan Vanca

Archived