External Trigger From Push Button or Keyboard, Capacitor question

Mrmilad

Question

Hello there, 

I am a new user to the AD2 scene. What I am trying to do is create a parallel wire capacitor that will alternate the charge on the wires at a freq of 200kHz, at a voltage of 2V across the capacitor wires (in this case the wires are the male connectors)

My first question is if I use the wavefunction generator as a sine wave, does the ground need to be placed on the adjacent wire to create my capacitor? What I mean is that if the W1 channel is pushing 2V to the W1 wire, is that in relation to the ground wire? Or, do I need to set up a second wavefunction generator to simultaneously be 180 out of phase, and push -2V to the W2 wire, and have that be the wire adjacent to W1 in my wire capacitor to create the E field between the two wire capacitors?

I suspected that I would need a wavefunction generator for each of the wires in my system, so this leads me to the next question. If I need to create two sets of alternating parallel wire capacitors, then I will need 4 wavefunction generators at 200kHz, and thus will need atleast two AD2 devices that can trigger one another. 

I read the tutorial on using an external push button act as the trigger device. Could I buy a external push button that I could link to both devices? If so, could someone show me which one? Secondly, my other question is that if there is a way to use a keyboard button to be your external trigger?

Thank you so much for your help!

5 answers to this question

Hi @Mrmilad

You can find educational materials on: 
https://learn.digilentinc.com/classroom/realanalog/
https://learn.digilentinc.com/Modules
https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/courses/real-analog/start

I think two AWG channels from one device are sufficient for your experiment.
These can be easily synchronized with the Synchronized or Auto sync options:

image.thumb.png.14478f477a233bb0fdd9dc1fe7fe8c37.png

Synchronizing two devices is a bit complicated. Let me know if you really need 4 AWG channels from 2 devices.

Hi Atila,

I have been able to figure out how to use the two channels out of phase to alternate. My issue is that I'm not clear if I can create 2 parallel wire capacitors using only two WG (4 wires parallel). I attached a picture of a single capacitor that's alternating, but I need to have two of those running simultaneously, which means two total wires that are alternating their charge at 200 kHz. Do you think that's possible with only 2 WG?

Basic Figures.jpeg

Hi @Mrmilad

Could you provide more information about your experiment? I don't understand what you want to achieve...

The AWG output of the device is relative to the GND, so you can connect the capacitor negative side to the GND and can generate +/-2V signal relative to this.
The device has 2 AWG channels, so you can 'charge' two capacitors with 1 device...

Archived