zr870

Using PmodBT2 with Android

Question

Hello,

I am using a Nexys 3 FPGA and the PmodBT2 for a university project. I am eventually going to transmit my custom data processed by the FPGA but for now I am trying to get the Bluetooth working. I downloaded and configured the PmodBT2 example from this website HERE but I can't seem to get it to work. I am using an Android phone with BlueTerm and I am having issues connecting my phone to the PmodBT2. I can successfully pair the devices, however I cannot get them to connect to each other, and therefore when I push the buttons or use the switches on the Nexys 3 board I do not see anything on the terminal window on my phone.

Does anyone know what I may be doing incorrectly with the pairing process (I just clicked on the device name and it paired successfully, but didn't connect). I also shorted jumber JP4 to set the baud rate to 9600 as specified in the above link.

Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hi zr870,

I'm not quite sure why you're experiencing this complication. Maybe telling you how I got connected on my phone with the demo will clear something up. I have a windows phone and was able to follow the guide, interfacing with the BT2 Pmod using the "Bluetooth Serial Terminal" application from the windows market place. Once the .bit file was programmed to the Nexys 3 I had to first connected to the Bluetooth device RNBT-XXXX through my system settings. Then I had to enter the Bluetooth Serial Terminal app and connected again to the Bluetooth device using the "Connect" button in the top left. Once connected, pressing any of the five push buttons on the Nexys 3 would display text in the terminal. I hope this helped you in some way. If this was not helpful please give me some more details on your connection process.

Thanks,

Mikel

Mikel,

Thank you for your response and sorry for the delay. I tried using a different terminal app (called Bluetooth Terminal) and I was able to successfully pair with and connect to the device. After pairing, I clicked Create connection - Insecure and then chose the RNBT-XXXX device from the menu. (I did not see any options to specify the com port or the baud rate, etc.). However, once connected in the Terminal, pressing any of the push buttons yielded no text output on the Android device. Do you have any idea why this may not be working? Thanks.

zr870,

Please specify which Bluetooth terminal app you are using because there 10+ apps with the name "Bluetooth Terminal" in the Android Marketplace. Just the developer is needed. Trying a couple different apps using the same connection process that you did resulted in a working connection with the Nexys 3 without any issues. Are you seeing LD2 on the BT2 flashing when you press a button or send information from the terminal to the Nexys3? The reason you do not see the com port or baud rate is because your phone most likely configures these settings automatically.