Communicating with Zybo via Ethernet

Troy

Question

Hi, I'm using the Zybo as a peripheral to emulate a power supply and need it to communicate with pc. I'm using ethernet to communicate back and forth and was wondering if lwIP was that best way to go about this. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy

3 answers to this question

Hi Troy,

I have asked some of applications engineers about this to see if they have any insight. (I haven't heard back from them yet on the IwIP project for the Zybo since the person I talked to wasn't aware of one specifically for the Zybo so they needed to find out some more information).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello Troy,

It depends what is the nature of the data you are transferring. The Zynq Ethernet MAC works with Ethernet packets. If you are using point-to-point connection with the PC, Ethernet packets might be enough. You only need to make sure that the correct MAC address is used when sending and receiving the packets. If you want higher protocol-level support, you need IP. On top of IP you choose TCP, if you need guaranteed packet delivery, or UDP, if not. Both TCP/UDP and IP are implemented by lwIP. On top of that you either implement your own application protocol, or choose an existing one: TFTP if file transfer is that you are after, or SMTP if you want to send e-mails and so on. I believe none are implemented by lwIP, but there are open-source examples all over the Web.

Archived