Max chipkit and Max32

Usmanrashid

Question

17 answers to this question

Just now, jpeyron said:

Hi @Usmanrashid,

In section 4 Reloading the MPIDE bootloader of  the reference manual here it describes how to re-install the arduino/mpide bootloader hex file.

thank you,

Jon

Thank you for the support.

Lastly, I am looking for example in which I can do UART communication with MAX32. When I send something from terminal software then the MAX32 send some response.

Is there any already made example in MPLABX and Ardriono IDE ?

1 hour ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Usmanrashid,

If you want to use a debugger you will need to use the Pickit 3  and MPLABx.  Here is a stackoverflow thread that discusses this error for a different board.  First i would unplug the usb cable. 2nd, restart Arduino IDE with Digilent core/MPIDE IDE, making sure you aren't using Max32 with Serial on MPIDE. lastly,  make sure you are selecting the correct com port. If you receive the same error then the problem is the bootloader so you would need to re-flash the bootloader.

thank you,

Jon

Thank you and how I can re-flash the bootloader ?

Hi @Usmanrashid,

If you want to use a debugger you will need to use the Pickit 3  and MPLABx.  Here is a stackoverflow thread that discusses this error for a different board.  First i would unplug the usb cable. 2nd, restart Arduino IDE with Digilent core/MPIDE IDE, making sure you aren't using Max32 with Serial on MPIDE. lastly,  make sure you are selecting the correct com port. If you receive the same error then the problem is the bootloader so you would need to re-flash the bootloader.

thank you,

Jon

2 hours ago, jpeyron said:
1 hour ago, Usmanrashid said:

Meaning that you can't run step by step  code using usb whereas you can run step by step code using using debugger ?

If I want to use debugger then I have to use MPLABX ?

avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: stk500_2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

6 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Usmanrashid,

The PICkit3 has the licensed debugger to allow the programming of the bootloader, whereas the Max32 itself does not have the licensed debugger built into the board.  The PICkit3 or chipKIT PGM is only if you are loading code through MPLAB. If you just want to connect and use the Max32 through the USB cable with minimal fuss, you should use the Arduino IDE with the Digilent Core and follow the learn site and instructable linked above for how to approach this. You can upload sketches and serially communicate through the usb. What is the error showing while trying to burn the bootloader?

thank you,

Jon

Meaning that you can't run step by step  code using usb whereas you can run step by step code using using debugger ?

If I want to use debugger then I have to use MPLABX ?

Hi @Usmanrashid,

The PICkit3 has the licensed debugger to allow the programming of the bootloader, whereas the Max32 itself does not have the licensed debugger built into the board.  The PICkit3 or chipKIT PGM is only if you are loading code through MPLAB. If you just want to connect and use the Max32 through the USB cable with minimal fuss, you should use the Arduino IDE with the Digilent Core and follow the learn site and instructable linked above for how to approach this. You can upload sketches and serially communicate through the usb. What is the error showing while trying to burn the bootloader?

thank you,

Jon

9 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Usmanrashid,

You should change what programmer you are using under "Tools".  Switch from "AVRISP mkII" to "AVR ISP". This should speed up the programming time.  Also how long is it taking to program the MAX32? The USB port  serves as the serial port and a way to load sketches from the Arduino IDE/MPIDE onto the board.

thank you,

Jon

It is showing error while burning bootloader.

Hi @Usmanrashid,

You should change what programmer you are using under "Tools".  Switch from "AVRISP mkII" to "AVR ISP". This should speed up the programming time.  Also how long is it taking to program the MAX32? The USB port  serves as the serial port and a way to load sketches from the Arduino IDE/MPIDE onto the board.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Usmanrashid,

You  would need to use either the pic3,  chipkit pgm or ICD 3 to re-program the bootloader hex file. 

thank you,

Jon 

So what does that mean in simple language ?  What I can not do using normal usb?

One thing more MPIDE is taking far too long to upload the code so is there any way to fast the speed ?

Hi @Usmanrashid,

There is no difference between the MAX32  boards here. It is a product re-branding. You can program the MAX32 using the usb port.

thank you,

Jon

Then why I have seen in the internet that people have done programming of Max32 using Pickit 3 so what difference it makes if I do programming using separate debugger or using usb?

2 hours ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Usmanrashid,

Here is the Digilent Learn site that has information on MPLABx, MPIDE and PIC32's. Here is an Instructable using the MAX32. Here is the PIC32MX Family Reference Manual. You can also use the Arduino IDE with the Digilent Core here and the MAX32.

thank you,

Jon

Thanks and what is the difference between Max32 and Max32 chip kit?

Do I need separate debugger for the programming of both chip kit or they are the same?

Can I do programming using USB port only ?

Archived