Facing error in the rgb2dvi IP

dpaul

Question

Hello all,

I have got hold of the Digilent Zybo Video Workshop, Paris, France, 23.03.2017 PDF. I am following "Task Two" there in, at page 16 - Create a pass-through video pipeline.

I want to implement this using a Z7-10 and using Vivado 2017.4. I will be using 720p resolution video (TMDS input clock < 80MHz).

I have build the BD and is as shown below. This you can find in the PDF at page 26 and is exactly the same.

hdmi_axis.thumb.jpg.c43dacf61be577a60ab5f12924bf4b2f.jpg

The design is synth properly but during bitstream generation I get the following error.

[DRC PDRC-34] MMCM_adv_ClkFrequency_div_no_dclk: The computed value 2475.248 MHz (CLKIN1_PERIOD, net CLK) for the VCO operating frequency of the MMCME2_ADV site MMCME2_ADV_X0Y1 (cell hdmi_i/rgb2dvi_0/U0/ClockGenInternal.ClockGenX/GenMMCM.DVI_ClkGenerator) falls outside the operating range of the MMCM VCO frequency for this device (600.000 - 1200.000 MHz). The computed value is (CLKFBOUT_MULT_F * 1000 / (CLKINx_PERIOD * DIVCLK_DIVIDE)). Please run update_timing to update the MMCM settings. If that does not work, adjust either the input period CLKINx_PERIOD (6.059999), multiplication factor CLKFBOUT_MULT_F (15.000000) or the division factor DIVCLK_DIVIDE (1), in order to achieve a VCO frequency within the rated operating range for this device.

To get around, I edited the rgb2dvi_ooc.xdc such that I have commented out the following:

#create_clock -period 6.060 [get_ports PixelClk]
#create_generated_clock -source [get_ports PixelClk] -multiply_by 5 [get_ports SerialClk]

But it didn't help. What more can I do?

Suggestions, advises?

I have attached the top level xdc.

hdmi_vdma.xdc

9 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron,

Thanks for posting the link.

But I am constraining the tmdi input clock at the top level. I tried again and get the same error message.

Note that I had done a similar IP upgrade of the dvi2rgb and rgb2dvi cores as the author of the link mentioned you had done.

# < 80MHz TMDS clock
#create_clock -period 12.5 [get_ports TMDS_rx_i_clk_p]
create_clock -period 13.468 -waveform {0.000 6.734} [get_ports TMDS_rx_i_clk_p]

hdmi_vdma.xdc

The error message complains about the internal frequency of the MMCM in rgb2dvi being too high. There are two things that influence the error message: the input clock frequency, and the parameters of the clock primitive. The input clock frequency is propagated from dvi2rgb and is originally coming from the TMDS_rx_i_clk_p port. The parameters of the clock primitive are exposed in the rgb2dvi IP wizard as the expected resolution/clock frequency.

Your project seems to have the latter set to expect a low resolution/frequency, hence the 15x multiplication factor. However the input clock is timed for the highest DVI frequency possible at 165MHz (6.06ns).

In a synthesized design you can execute the write_xdc command to dump all constraints to a file. Then look for the erroneous clock definition to find where it is coming from.

I have a basic hdmi_passthru project for both an arty Z7 and a zybo Z7 that I just did while helping someone else last week. Starting with a known working project might let you compare the source files to see the differences.

Are you interested in that? If so what board are you using?

Archived