How can I use Trigger output pin?

Hello there!,

First of all, I would want to say that I am new on this community. Thanks for all the technical support by its forum!.

On the last days, I have problems to use the trigger output pin, and I am unable to find any information about to use it. I want to trigger an scope  when other scope is triggering. I just connect the trigger output on one of the digital pins, and configure the trigger of the second one as LA, but seems that it is not already works. Could I do that with Trigger Output and Digital pins on Osciloscope MZ?

Thanks for all,

Regards,

WaRc3L

Hi WaRc3L,

I have checked this today using an external Scope. I can confirm that the Trigger Output pin seems to not be implemented (though I did not have much time to test it, so I might be wrong). I didn't also find any hint in the protocol that there was a setting for activating the pin. Even tried it with a pullup in case it was an active low output, but with no sucess. I did not have enough time to check if the Trigger Input (ext. Trigger) works. But I guess it wont, since there is no such trigger source available from neither Waveforms Live nor the protocol. Waveforms Live had an error whenever I tried to use LA as the instrument with any of the GPIOs as trigger source. Does that at least work for you?

If so, maybe you can use the red LED of the Openscope as the Trigger Output. I don't know how accurate its timing is though.

Regards

Fabian

Hello Fa-b,

Thanks for your accurate response. Bad news if you are correct !. I ask with my team and seems that idea to take the trigger by the LED is not accurate...

The tests that I tried were activate the trigger through digital pins, configure one of the digital pins of the OSC1 as a Output, and configure OSC2 with an input pin, and set the source of a trigger as LA with the mask that I want to OSC2.

This worked, when OSC1 commands the out digital pin, the OSC2 triggers correctly. But this is not I want..., because I don't have any control of the trigger of OSC1.

By the way, the idea is to create an script using the protocol (JSON) to trigger the osiloscope when the other captures. And for that, I need to know when the OSC1 triggers. Is any other way to do that, without modifying the PCB-layout? And, why the trigger output pins exists if it does not do nothing?

Thanks again for your response Fabian,

Regards,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

It might be that the Trigger output and input pins are simply not implemented in software yet. The Openscope MZ is an OpenSource project after all. So it would be possible to implement that functionality yourself, theoretically.

Since you are planning to write a JSON script to trigger your OSC2 from OSC1, you should be able to set the trigger position to 100% of the time axis, and in your program immediately set a dedicated GPIO output to trigger OSC2. Of course the captured data from OSC1 is of no use in that case.

And again, not sure if the achieved timing would be good enough for you..

Regards

Fabian

Archived