custom FTDI JTAG

nishant

Question

Hello

without digilent plugin we can not use FTDI chip as a jtag 

as people are using digilent plugin but in impact we can put our custom board name  (please see attached image )

same way we can use in vivado 

www.allaboutfpga.com they are using for commercial use 

is it legal ?? 

impact.PNG

8 answers to this question

Hi @nishant,

I'm a little confused about what you are concerned about. If users are providing a custom name for a board through Xilinx iMPACT, then the Digilent plugin isn't affected by this. I'm also not sure what you mean by the other website using it (the naming of the board?) for commercial use; are they selling that functionality?

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for reply 

Ex. Arty board has a ftdi chip as a jtag   when we connect to impact , impact will show arty board name same like attached image (in place of EDGE SP6)

if i want to use FTDI chip as a JTAG programmer on my costume board  (same as Arty Board), can i use this cor commercial use 

to do this no need to modify diglent plugin in impact 

so my question is By doing this do i am violating any copy rights.

Same question in another words 

can i use digilent plugin inside impact or vivado (hardware server), without using Digilent Hardware ?

impact.PNG

29 minutes ago, nishant said:

can i use digilent plugin inside impact or vivado (hardware server), without using Digilent Hardware ?

If you read through the forums, you'll notice more than once that the Digilent programming circuit is considered "proprietary" (even though it contains an FTDI chip).

Here is an example that the technology is licensed (3rd party Digilent-compatible JTAG vs the same hardware without license).

I don't work for any of the mentioned companies but I'd guess your answer will be "no".

Hi @nishant,

As a more formal answer, the Digilent plugin is only able to be used with Digilent hardware. This is detailed in the license agreement for Digilent's Adept software (a required installation for the Digilent plugin) during the installment process.

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived