Arty Z7-20 Booting from Flash with Encryption Enabled

ccattell

Question

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to get my Arty Z7-20 (XC7Z020) to boot from flash with encryption enabled. If I do not enable encryption, I am able to get this to work. 

I am using the tool "Create Boot Image" in the Xilinx SDK. I open the encryption tab and check the box labeled "Use Encryption" and provide the "Part name." The Part name I use is "XC7Z020." I have also tried "XC7Z020CLG400", which I found when using that board in a Vivado project. The Boot Image is created just fine, and I am able to program the flash. However, when I power on the FPGA, the done light does not come on and it seems to get stuck booting.

I do have the jumper set to QSPI. Any idea why I am having this issue? 

Thanks,

Christian

8 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @ccattell,

You are referring to using the efuse register? I do not have experience using the efuse. Here is a fsbl that has the efuse status register information. Here and here are more information about efuse.

thank you,

Jon

Hello @jpeyron,

I am trying to use bbram. I should've specified that in the original post, sorry for the confusion. Please let me know if there is anything else that is unclear about my issue.

Thanks,

Christian  

Hi @ccattell,

Looking at the Zynq-7000 SoC Data Sheet: Overview on page 12 under Configuration and miscellaneous it discusses eFUSE and battery-backed RAM signals from the PL to the PS. This is  also discussed in the 7 Series FPGAs Data Sheet: Overview on page 14 where it states that the key can reside in battery-backed RAM or in nonvolatile eFUSE bits. It looks like the bbram feature is in zynq like it is in the Artix-7 FPGA's. I unfortunately have no experience with these functions. I would suggest to reach out to xilinx support about this forum thread. I did also find newer information about BBram and efuse in the Internal Programming of BBRAM and eFUSEs as well.

cheers,

Jon

Archived