How do I get Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS?

ArKay99

Question

I'm a newb with Linux or Ubuntu, but want to install the version I need to get Linux working on my Zybo Z7 with the project. Been to the Ubuntu forum, signed up and asked the question and got several answers that didn't seem quite right about the version of both the OS, the LTS vs GA and the kernel, where they exist, etc.

I've got a clean Win 10 machine and going to put VMWare on it and run Ubuntu on it, but it's clear as mud how I go about getting and installing 16.04.3. OR do I need that as the minimum and can install the most current version.. 18.xx something?

What have the developers here done to get the platform needed to build the demo?

4 answers to this question

20 hours ago, ArKay99 said:

I'm thinking that even though I'm running a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Windows I should dl the 32-bit PC (i386) desktop image, specifically the: ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-i386.iso?

Nope, 32b is not supported by the Xilinx tools. But you are right what matters is not the architecture of the host but rather the guest, I messed that up ?

You'll need this one.

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS can be downloaded here

For the exact variant you should use we need to know the architecture of your CPU (intel, arm, amd, 32b or 64b). You can check this in Win 10 system overview.

To setup Ubuntu in VMWare, download the iso file from the link above. Then create a new VM, mount the iso in your VM, boot it then install it. I am not going into the details for these steps here.

3 hours ago, theUltimateSource said:

Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS can be downloaded here

For the exact variant you should use we need to know the architecture of your CPU (intel, arm, amd, 32b or 64b). You can check this in Win 10 system overview.

To setup Ubuntu in VMWare, download the iso file from the link above. Then create a new VM, mount the iso in your VM, boot it then install it. I am not going into the details for these steps here.

Thanks for the info. CPU from the overview is:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz

16 gig 1866 ram

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor.

OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

I'm thinking that even though I'm running a 64 bit processor and 64 bit Windows I should dl the 32-bit PC (i386) desktop image, specifically the: ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-i386.iso?

Thanks for the start procedure for the vm, no need to outline the steps.

Archived