Problem with installing board files

MrMcChicken

Question

Hello,
I want to start using FPGAs. At this moment I have no board but I am hoping to get one soon. Yesterday I installed the Vivado WebPack edition 2015.4.
Currently I want to learn how to use the Software. I have seen some Tutorials on the Digilent Wiki. So I wanted to install some board files to use with Vivado.
Somehow I can not get them to be displayed on the 'Create New Project' wizard.
I downloaded the board files and put the folders ( arty,nexys_video,nexys4 ... ) into: E:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\data\boards\board_files.
When I start a new project I enter a name at the first page. I skip the two 'Add/Remove Files' pages and then I try to select a board at the 'Solution Configuration'
window. If I switch from 'Parts' to 'Boards' there are boards displayed but not those which are in the 'board_files' folder. The list contains eight Virtex boards.
I have no Virtex board files in the 'board_files' folder.
Is the location where I put the files wrong? I have already searched for other possible locations. It seems that the board which are listed are saved at:
C:\Users\MrMcChicken\AppData\Local\Xilinx\DocNav\hubs\boards_and_kits
If I chang the files there the list at the 'Create New Project' wizard doesn't changes. This confuses me just even more.

How and where do I have to place the board files?

2 answers to this question

Hello, I found the problem and solution. I lauchend the  'Vivado HLS 2015.4' shortcut and not the 'Vivado 2015.4' shortcut,
The 'Vivado 2015.4' shortcut was not working at first so I thought the other will work fine too. But it seem that both are a bit
different. I thought I can start a project like it is described in the tutorial with both.
So is HLS for programming a FPGA in C? It seems so to me.

Vivado did not start because:
The desktop shortcut was aiming to:
E:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\vvgl.exe C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\bin\vivado.bat
I have changed it to:
E:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\bin\unwrapped\win64.o\vvgl.exe E:\Xilinx\Vivado\2015.4\bin\vivado.bat

Now Vivado lauches. There I can select the boards I want. Everything seems to be fine :).
Sorry for opening this kind of useless thread :/.

Hi MrMcChicken,

It's not a useless thread; you'd be surprised at the number of questions that we get about Vivado installations. Thank you for posting what the problem was and how you fixed it though!

And yes, the HLS (high-level synthesis) is a way to program the FPGA in a C-like environment.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived