Fpga Board Suggestion

kodyhaugli

Question

Hello,

My name is Kody Haugli and I am a fourth year Electrical Engineering student at the University of Calgary.

Me and my project team are working on an active noise cancelling system for an industry sponsor and we need a little help finding an FPGA board that would handle our needs.

A generalized view of our solution is:

• To have a speaker emit a recorded noise that was taken from the transformer that includes all of the ambient noise
  • Have a a microphone pick up the noise and have it converted to a digital signal
  • Filter out all of the ambient noise as well as the third harmonics to leave us with a pure 120Hz signal
  • Time delay this purely 120Hz signal to create an antiphase waveform
  • Emit the antiphase signal through a speaker and hopefully create destructive interference to reduce the dB level of our original noise

I have been searching through the Digilent FPGA boards and we belive that the Basys 3 would be able to handle this application, but we thought we would get an experts suggestion as to using the proper board and the proper Pmod expansions. We do have a budget limit and were hoping that a board $200 or less would work.

Overall, our board needs to be able to handle he following peripherals:

• 2 microphones
  • 1 speaker
  • A/D and D/A Pmod expasions (if needed)
  • Pmod audio amplifier for the speaker
  • Pmod expansion to handle 2 micrphones

We were also hoping to program this board with Vivado and Matlab.

Thank you in advance for your helpful information.

Regards,

Kod Haugli

2 answers to this question

HI 

kodyhaugli

I am sorry that your post somehow got missed in the shuffle. 

The easiest one is the speaker, I would use just off the shelf speakers that you could get off of a computer, or from a drug store counter-- since most of our boards use standard Audio jacks. 

I like to use this one (it's portable and really loud!) http://www.amazon.com/X-Mini-XAM4-GR-Portable-Capsule-Speaker/dp/B0059ERNGG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420506411&sr=8-3&keywords=speaker+mini

Your hardest requirement is 2 microphones. 

Let me first address the rest of your requirements. 

The Basys3 would be a great board for what you want to do. At 79.00 you can't really beat the price. 

What's nice is the Artix 7 chip on that board has an on-board ADC that you don't need to buy again. 

However, it's stripped down on peripherals and you would have to buy a lot of Pmods. 

e.g. an  Audio Pmod: 19.99-21.99

2 Pmod Mic's -- each at 15.99

Possibly a Pmod I2S - Stereo Audio Output

Alternatively, you could do the Nexys4DDR On the Nexys4DDR, there is an onboard Microphone and audio amp. Although pricier, it has more logic cells and more peripherals. -- that is 159.00

http://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,400,1338&Prod=NEXYS4DDR

In particular there is an 

• PWM audio output (where you would need a DAC)
  • An Audio jack (for Mono)
  • Onboard PDM Microphone

The FPGA has an on-board (in the chip) A/D also. 

With this solution, you would have to add 1 more microphone (15.99)

Either solution should work. 

Hope that helps a tiny bit. 

I'm a little confused by your description. I got to the third bullet and thought, if you want a pure 120Hz signal, you could just synthesize it. But I suppose what you mean is that you want to lock onto the amplitude and phase of any ambient 120Hz noise.

I do not have any experience with the Basys 3, but I think it would probably work for your application.

For slightly more money, however, you could get a Zybo, which has a similar amount of programmable logic along with dual ARM CPUs that can run Linux, so that you can program and debug your design over a TCP connection. It also enables you to run a bit of configuration/control software on the board so that you can just put the computationally intensive part into the programmable logic.

Archived