SDoC 2018.2 Unresponsive when changing focus

ArKay99

Question

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, as this is a question about tool installation and usage. If it is in the wrong place perhaps a mod can move this or provide a suggestion as to the right place to ask this.

I had SDoC 2018.1 installed along with Vivado and Vivado HLS and subsequently installed 2016.4 Vivado, SDK, and Vivado HLS to work with the OOB project for my Digilent board. I got that working and was able to go through much of the project all the way to debug and program and verify with the SDK and the contained C code. A few days later I wanted to start utilizing some of the example projects and the xfopencv libs, but was unable to download them. I saw that SDoC 2081.2 was released, so I downloaded and installed that and upon starting SDoC I started having the problem. It appears that when changing focus between the different container objects in the gui that the ui becomes unresponsive for about 20 seconds with the spinning blue circle. Then it will get focus and I can nav around in the container, but after I close it and try to select a menu item or a tab in another container, the ui can't get focus for another 20 seconds. This is really frustrating as it makes even setting up the environment futile. I then fully uninstalled SDoC 2018.2 and re-installed it with a fresh download but got the same issue. Keep in mind that 2018.1 worked just fine. I then did a full uninstall of 2018.1 and 2018.2, then another fresh download and install of 2018.2 with no 2018.1 on the computer. I still observe the same behavior. I should mention that Vivado 2018.2 and the SDK being launched from the Vivado menu seems to work just fine.

After a few days of looking around for an answer to this, I've come up short so I'm asking for advice and or help here. I applied for a ticket at the Xilinx Service Portal, but it may take a few days to get through the noise there with no guarantee I will get help due to my non-corporate email address, although I do have an SDoC license. I'm also thinking that if it's a problem with the SDoC ui interacting poorly with eclipse that may be another issue. I have inspected my environment variables, license location, and viability and SDoC does report the license is available in the console when I start it...although sometimes it takes a while to establish that. My internet connection is solid and fast with 100 mbps up and down.

3 answers to this question

Hi @ArKay99,

I have not heard of this happening with the SDSoC platform. Looking around on the internet I do not see anything in regards to the issue you bring up for SDSoC 2018.2 either.  I think your ticket with xilinx is the right way to handle this issue.

thank you,

Jon

Thanks for the input Jon. In addition to starting the ticket with Xilinx I started a search on eclipse not responding and got lots of hits. I'm sorting through that now. And a awaiting a reply from Xilinx support. I will apprise as to the outcome. From the eclipse threads it might be as simple as having the correct version of java installed.

Well, I applied for the ticket and was 'approved' at the Xilinx Service Portal, but upon entering it, I have no way to enter a ticket and am left with the only choices of the Forums, the FAQ's, or the Knowledge Base, of which I spent almost 2 days perusing and searching and have come up empty. I suppose because I don't have a corporate email account, and a third party product, they're not interested. At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I'm also glad that I didn't pay the $595 for a node locked SDoC license!

I have also exhausted the threads relating to Eclipse and their memory problems, and it appears this has been and is a known issue for Eclipse. Here is what I've done so far...

According to some of the threads relating to this, the java vm sets up memory allocation limits using the eclipse.ini file, and suggests upping those limits. I have done so to no avail.

At this point I'm going to have to roll back to SDoC 2018.1 and perhaps skip over 2018.2. However, unless the 2018.1 xfopenCV issue has been fixed. I'm left with a broken product at this point. IMHO, for a product (SDoC) that claimed as it's #1 selling point is usability, Xilinx has failed miserably. It's hard enough to learn a new platform, complex software and hardware, but when the tools don't work it makes it impossible.

I still have Vivado and the SDK and will move forward with those tools. Not ranting, just frustrated and disappointed...

Archived