Waveforms 3: Log SPI signal stream for debugging on Electronics Explorer

Arthur

Question

Hello,

you made great products with Analog Discovery and Electronics Explorer, especially since Waveforms 3 offers even more functionality!

For Debugging especially the Logging-function is useful. In my case I'm sending SPI signals to a FPGA which controls a power electronics circuit. Some times there are glitches or faulty output values, so that I wanted to check the sent SPI signals. Therefore I want to log them and make a statistical analysis, since the errors are not periodical. I output a 50Hz sinus signal and send about 10 SPI commands per period. As sending the signals is much faster than the output signal, I can only see one of the commands at a time. To decode it I have to choose a resolution of 20µs or less in the logic analyzer. Logging this signal gives me a huge csv with very little information.

I've read the scripting page in your wiki but I didn't find an answer to my question: Is it possible to write a script, which only saves new datawords in a csv? Something like take 10000 samples and only write the SPI word 'on signal change' to the csv? If not, would it be possible to only write the SPI word of a certain time frame (e.g. only write value from SPI at sample 1200 to the csv and do this for 10000 triggered events)?

Best regards,

Arthur

4 answers to this question

Hi Arthur,

I sent you the latest version in private message.
This, beside other improvements it has Event view in Logic Analyzer.
I think it would be better for you using Stream run mode. This, at lower sample rate (depending on computer, below 1-5 MSps) allows capturing millions of samples.

Thank you for the feedback.

Best regards,
Attila

Hi Attila,

I don't know how to setup stream with event view. The time base is always automatically selected/set according to the sample rate I choose. I cannot define a base on which I can actually read the data words transmitted (4x32bit @ 2,5MHz - about 60µs transfer time; this happens about 5-10 times per 20ms) - the event window shows no usable results.

Could you please advise me, how to set up the instrument, so that the time base is around 20µs (then it displays the data words) and it records many of them without storing the zeros in between?

Best regards,

Arthur

Archived