Zybo Vivado 2018.1 Getting started with Zynq typo

Pseudonym1

Question

I'm trying to follow the "Getting started with Zynq" guide to bring up a Zybo board. Step 4.4 indicates "swts_4bits", but the closest option is "sws_4bits".

I appreciate the guide immensely, but it might help to also include the icon locations for each step, particularly where the "Add Ip" icon is, since there are a LOT of interface options in Vivado. It may also help to have the steps in hierarchical order, even if it causes the English to be awkward. E.g. instead of

"4.3) Select GPIO2 under axi_gpio_0 and select swts_4bits in the drop-down box."

something like

"Within the block axi_gpio_0 group GPIO2, select  sws_4bits"

or maybe even

axi_gpio_0 -> GPIO2 -> sws_4bits

Including the other block configurations (like S_AXI) would also be helpful, even if they're left with their defaults. It looks like Xilinx rolls their tools a lot, so this would help when users are on a different version.

I'm new to FPGA/CPLD terms, so please excuse imprecise/wrong term/notation usage. On the other hand, thank you for making such tools so accessible!

2 answers to this question

Also, for step 6, it may be helpful to indicate where to look (upper right corner of the Vivado suite) to see the Bitstream status. I tried to proceed to step 7 when I erroniously though step 6 was done. Hopefully tool revisions don't change the location of the status too much.

At least in Vivado 2018.1, the tool has a "Bitstream Generation Completed" pop-up, you might indicate to wait for this with an image of the relevant option {Open Implemented Design, View Reports, Open Hardware Manager, Generate Memory Configurations}to select.

I know it's a challenge to keep up with tools that roll frequently. It might help to have a link to a version of Vivado corresponding to the guide, if Xilinx is amenable to that legacy tool link support.

Also, to add/clarify to the previous post/question: Including the frame/region any icons or options are located would also help significantly. Coming from an embedded micro-controller background, there interface has many more layers of configuration than code only IDEs. I'm not always clear on which frame/tool to use for this yet.

Archived