johnAbel

What camera for Nexys video?

Question

I plan to use Nexys video for image processing. I did a project before where the FPGA gets the data straight from the sensor but now I will be using one of the interfaces (HDMI, USB, etc). There is a number of options, probably any of them valid, I'm just asking for suggestions.

The most available cams have USB interface but Nexyx does not have 'pure' USBs unless I'm wrong and I'm not that much willing having an embedded processor just to interface USB to my video format stream.

Second thing I though was to use the HDMI input but can't find many cameras with that output... Of course I want to avoid 'pro' and expensive cameras if I can get away with a £20 one.

I've seen some USB to HDMI cables (I assume they have some chip somewhere), will they work? Has anybody used them for cameras, not for Pc to Screen?

Third I also saw many WiFi cameras, so another option is to add some WiFi module to nexys and connect to the cam that way. As there will be a number of protocols in the middle, again, has anybody tried that before?

Last I could just wire the CCD sensor to the I/O through the mezzanine connector, then I wonder why does it deserve to be called 'video' board.

Any new suggestion also welcome, thanks guys!

John

Edited by johnAbel

2 answers to this question

Hi, for now, the recommended solution may be the pro through the HDMI. Hopefully there will be something thru Pmod connector soon

I am in the same situation as johnAbel and currently I'm working with HDMI but I want a cheaper solution. I have seen several cameras (from Basler for instance) that have Gigabit Ethernet interface but, as far as I see, it is not easy to make the decoding and the solution typically involves a microprocessor such as a MicroBlaze.

If someone knows any alternative to the HDMI interface for real-time video processing I would really like to know :)

Thanks in advance!