Windows 10 driver for Arty?

Mike Butts

Question

I have a new Windows 10 laptop to host my new Arty. The first time I plugged in the USB the Arty's 7A35 FPGA appeared as expected in Vivado HW Manager. I programmed the FPGA apparently successfully, but then the laptop crashed with an error starting with ftdi. Now when I plug in the USB, Vivado HW Manager does not recognize the Arty. Windows Device Manager lists the Digilent USB device, and reports a driver error. Driver properties reports "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Is there a device driver for Windows 10 I should install now? Thanks!

--Mike

12 answers to this question

I installed vivado2020.1 on win10 machine, however, the hardware manager does not detect the Arty S7 or A7 board or the device, is usb/jtag driver part of vivado installation? when plug/unplug usb port, no usb device is recognized either. any advice?

thanks

Leo

Hi @zliu,

I apologize for the long delay. The cable drivers should be part of the Vivado installation, though they are an optional installation so there is a chance that they are not installed.

You can reinstall the cable drivers as per this Xilinx Answer Record: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/59128.html.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

hi, @JColvin

thanks for the response. I tried installing driver above and it does not help. 

I also tried reinstalling vivado2020.1 webpack and no help either.

in either case, Arty board is not recognized by window device manager at all.

I tried multiple Arty boards so I dont think it is board specific.

not sure what steps I have missed. 

thx

Leo

Hi @zliu,

If you have tried different boards, then I agree that it is not board specific. Could you attach a picture of how you have the board setup while plugged in in case I can spot something weird? And has the board ever worked for you?

What do you see in the Windows Device Manager? Normally the Arty board (both S7 and A7) will show up as a "USB Serial Converter" (maybe with an A or B at the end of it) under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section.

Additionally, do the boards themselves power on? One thing to try if you haven't already would be to try a different USB cable (since some USB cables that come with phones are only designed for charging rather than also data) and potentially a different USB port.

Thanks,
JColvin

no, there are brand new boards I recently ordered from Digilent. 

when I plug in, nothing happens in device manager. i.e. not recognized by device manager. 

the board does get power from USB and it boots up correctly and FPGA done pin goes high. LED toggles and switch and reset buttons all seem to work.

I tried external supply, no difference.

IMG_20200624_173932[1].jpg

Hi @zliu,

Digilent does not have a tech support phone line, primary because many of the topics that need troubleshooting are ill-suited for an audio based discussion.

Since you have not explicitly said so, have you tried a different cable? My understanding is that even if the EEPROM to go with the FTDI solution on the Digilent boards is corrupted in some way, Windows will still recognize that the boards are connected to the computer, albeit as an unknown device. Since nothing is being detected in the Windows device manager (I can't tell if there is anything in your device manager that has an error flag next to it).

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived