Tools for writing WF32 drivers for I2c and SPI

Marty

Question

I'll soon go thru the grind of learning I2C and SPI and writing drivers for my WF32 attachments.   I did a brief search on the web but think asking hear might be more unbiased.

So I saw this tool: http://www.tech-tools.com/DV509-logic-analyzer.htm

And see that Digilent sell this: https://store.digilentinc.com/digital-discovery-portable-logic-analyzer-and-digital-pattern-generator/

I looking for an excellent analyzer  for debugging I2C and SPI drivers I will write.   I don't want to waste my time writing an analyzer driver cause I'm on a learning curve.  Want something out of the box that actually includes I2C and SPI debug tools.

Any suggestions, advice?

thanks,

marty

4 answers to this question

I used the logic analyzer in the Analog Discovery personally, So I would naturally go with the Digital Discovery if I needed more I/O lines since it's a more familiar device and interface for me personally. It looks like the DV509 can operate at faster speeds, but only offers 9 channels instead of the 32 that the Digital Discovery offers. I guess it boils down to what you need more, speed, or more I/O?

I don't have any experience debugging I2C or SPI drivers though, so I'm not so sure about that front.

1 hour ago, bklopp said:

I used the logic analyzer in the Analog Discovery personally, So I would naturally go with the Digital Discovery if I needed more I/O lines since it's a more familiar device and interface for me personally. It looks like the DV509 can operate at faster speeds, but only offers 9 channels instead of the 32 that the Digital Discovery offers. I guess it boils down to what you need more, speed, or more I/O?

I don't have any experience debugging I2C or SPI drivers though, so I'm not so sure about that front.

thanks,  I didn't see the Discovery having I2C and SPI knowledge.  I did find another unit on the web: https://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle-i2cspi/

Opinions?

If you're looking for a way to both inject SPI/I2C data, as well as capture traffic, then the Aardvark is probably the way to go. But they do have speed limitations (800 kHz for I2C, 4 MHz for SPI).

If you only need something to capture/analyze the traffic, then the Saleae tools are quite good at that, along with many other protocols. They can also capture analog data, up to 10 MS/s on the base Logic 8 unit.

1 hour ago, Larry Standage said:

If you're looking for a way to both inject SPI/I2C data, as well as capture traffic, then the Aardvark is probably the way to go. But they do have speed limitations (800 kHz for I2C, 4 MHz for SPI).

If you only need something to capture/analyze the traffic, then the Saleae tools are quite good at that, along with many other protocols. They can also capture analog data, up to 10 MS/s on the base Logic 8 unit.

Larry,

Thanks very much for your advice, I was thinking I just needed to monitor, buy now I see why you recommend the Aardvark. after reading your post I looked at the Saleae and was impressed with the software interface, one thing about TotalPhase is they tend not to show their software running in a screen size you can scrutinize.  But now I realize I'm gonna need to put something on bus that communicates (as master or slave)  inorder to write working code.  Thank again, Marty

Archived