"No device detected" in Waveform 3.8.2 with AD2 on MacOS 10.13

Aki

Question

I have two iMac (Late 2009) running MacOS 10.13.4 and 10.13.5. I purchased a AD2, but WaveForm 3.8.2 cannot detect my AD2 in both iMacs. I confirmed it works fine in a Windows PC or VM machine (Parallel Deskop) on my iMac.
Attache image is the Device Manager window of Waveform after dismissing "No device detected" dialog. It shows my AD2's serial number but I cannot select it.

I read several posts in the forum and try
  - Restart after installing the driver.
  - Connect external DC5V.
but no change.

I'm looking for a help.

WF_mainwindow.png

6 answers to this question

Hi @Aki

It looks like the application can't find the configuration files (firmware) for the device which are embedded in the app.

Did you install (drag & drop) the WaveForms to the macOS Applications folder?
Try launching the application from the DMG package..
Bring the mouse over the device name to see the device IDs.

image.png.84768597841457743c447d507dc6e191.png

36 minutes ago, attila said:

Hi @Aki

It looks like the application can't find the configuration files (firmware) for the device which are embedded in the app.

Did you install (drag & drop) the WaveForms to the macOS Applications folder?
Try launching the application from the DMG package..
Bring the mouse over the device name to see the device IDs.

image.png.84768597841457743c447d507dc6e191.png

Dear attila,

I launched Waveform from DMG package, but the situation is the same. When I put the mouse onto the device name, the same dialog as yours except for SN was appeared.

Here shows syslog messages at launching and exitting the application.

Jun 21 16:04:34 kwbimac WaveForms[8459]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked
Jun 21 16:04:45 kwbimac systemstats[51]: assertion failed: 17E199: systemstats + 914800 [D1E75C38-62CE-3D77-9ED3-5F6D38EF0676]: 0x40

There is no message on plugging AD2.

According to other posts like me, the problem seems to be the FTDI driver, but I cannot find any solution from them. Is it confirmed that the driver works well on 10.13.x?

Hi @Aki

The driver is working since the device is detected, but for some reason the application can't find the firmware files for it...
The application is working fine for me under macOS 10.13.3 and 10.13.5

Please try running the following app: digilent.waveforms_v3.8.2-2.dmg
This should show the firmware path and list the files in the device manager.
Please post a screenshot with it.

Hi @Aki

I think the character encoding was not handled correctly by the application on your system.
Please try this build: digilent.waveforms_v3.8.2-3.dmg
Let me know if this version is working.

In case it is still not working, the app should provide more info for debugging.
You can try coping the dwf.framework to Framework, this should also solve the problem.

Now it works fine!

My system language is Japanese and I do not know why the text encoding causes this problem, but  anyway I feel happy to use AD2 with this Waveforms.

I appreciate your prompt and adequate support.

Aki

Archived