JTAG-SMT2

WallyPhillips

Question

I'm working with a VC709 development board that has a Digilent JTAG-SMT module on it.

I installed Vivado 2015.4 Lab edition so I could program the VC709 with a .bit file.

I plug the PC into the Digilent module via USB and the device managet says it doesn't recognize the USB device. When I try to "update driver", windows tells me it already has the latest driver installed.

I tried installing Adept2 hoping the driver would be there but no luck. Adept doesn't see anything either.

Is there a separate driver I need to install? Where do I get it?

Thanks,

Wally

10 answers to this question

Hi Wally,

Sometimes Vivado doesn't always install the cable drivers correctly, which can lead to what you are experiencing. I would recommend trying out the two things suggested in this post to see if that solves the device recognition problem.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Here's the images of the error msgs I get. I tried updating drivers several times but no go. I've installed the Vivado Stand-alone cable drivers a few times. No help.

All the USB ports say the same thing. This is a Win 10 machine. I installed Adept, no help.

Anything else I can try?

USB not conn.png

USB descriptor.png

The error you've shown occurs when a USB device is not functioning correctly. Improper drivers would not cause it.

I'm not familiar with the VC709 (we didn't design or manufacture it), but maybe you need to be supplying power to the board from another source? It's possible the board has to be powered on in order for the SMT module to function correctly. 

Apart from that, it sounds like your board might be damaged or malfunctioning. I would recommend opening a support case with the people you purchased the board from.

If the 3.3V rail on the VC709 is at 3.3V, then the SMT1 is getting the power it needs (I peaked at the VC709 schematic). Maybe try probing this rail with a DMM just to be sure. 

If that is not the problem, then it would appear that there is either a problem with the SMT1 module on your boards, the microUSB cable you are using, or the host computer USB port. Since you've tried multiple computers and multiple USB ports, it seems the problem is not the host computer USB ports, but you should try using a different USB-micro cable (make sure it is not one meant for "charging" only).

Archived