connecting IP blocks for PL side - project includes GPS module, GSM module,Memory, Debug TAP controller

Sridhar Prasath Aruppukottai Ganesan

Question

I am relatively new to Zedboard and Vivado. I am currently doing the hardware design

for this project in Xilinx Vivado. I have to use GPS module, GSM module, internal memory, TAP debug controller in this project. Also I need to use 

Ethernet for sending the data to server.

I have some assumptions regarding the design that i will list below. Please provide me with knowledge if I am wrong.

1. For GPS and GSM modules, We can use any 2 of the PMOD connectors(JA,JB,JC,JD) on the PL side. (RS232 protocol).

2. For internal memory, We can use the memory on the PS side itself.

3. For Ethernet also, we can use from PS.

So while making Hardware block design for this project, what IP blocks can I use for each of these .So following are my doubts.

1. Can I use AXI-Quad SPI IP block for PMOD connections(for GPS and GSM modules)?? I found default IPs for I2C and SPI connections but not for RS232 connection.

So what IP block should i use for GSM and GPS modules?

2. can i use AXI-central direct memory access block for accessing internal memory?

3. And what IP block should i use for debug port TAP controller?? or is it on the PS side so that it dont require seperate IP connection? And what is its purpose?

4. And for ethernet connection also, do i need to use seperate IP or can i use the one which is already on the Zync PS side.

5 answers to this question

Hi,

I am wondering what is the justification for adding FPGA to your project. All tasks can be accomplished using SBC with ARM processors. Adding FPGA into the project will double your effort since you'll need to program and debug PL which is time consuming. 

Well, since you are commited to this project I'll give you my recommendations.

Start with creating detailed requirements specification of your project: data description, I/O data rates and formats, data sources and consumers, etc. When you reach understanding of resources required for your project create a block diagram and select hardware components. Hopefully requirements are relaxed enough to make it work in a standalone (barebone) mode without running Linux.

Read datasheets for Pmods and run example projects for every component you plan to use. Pmod GPS requires RS-232 and GSM might need I2C or SPI or UART.

Try to use as much as possible PS side of Zynq because most of IP (for standalone mode) you need is available, check the folder SDK\2018.1\data\embeddedsw\XilinxProcessorIPLib

hi @Notarobot I ll tell u about the project description. .

1. The gps module collects gps data including time

2. The GSM/UMTS/LTE mod should collect Cell ID and power information of all available base stations.

3.All the data should be put on a database ( internal memory via an AXI bus)

4. FInally, on request ,(While calling from or mobile to the sim card on that gsm mod), the IOT should send the correct gps location (http link) to a server.

5. And finally there is a TAP controller as a debug port(I dont know its purpose fully yet).

So this is all about my project. How can i desing my hardware according to the specifications. As I am going to use two pmods, I am actually confused. Because it seems that , the request from one pmod(GSM) serves as the interrupt for the other mod(GPS). So please help me with this.

Hi Sridhar,

1. What gps module do you have in mind?

2. There is no problem to have two UARTs. You can set GPS UART operating with interrupt and use polling of data from the GSM module. You can also have two interrupts with different priorities and the CPU will get data accordingly.

3. Also read a datasheet for any commercial product with similar functionality and try to create similar one for you project/product. Keep it for yourself, don't publish. Creating this datasheet will force you to make several important decisions and better understand scope of the project, its challenges and find solutions. Separate problems and solve them one by one.

4. I suggest to start experimental work with any of selected modules. You will learn a lot and gain confidence.

Archived