How to use TP4056 lithium battery charger module

Hihdl

I have made a bench power supply from an old PSU and added a USB port connected directly to the 5V rail (leaving the data pins disconnected).When I connected a TP4056 charging board (like this), the TP4056 smoked and blew up.I am trying to understand if the board was defective (or I messed up with the wiring) or if the USB must not provide more than 1A (the 5V rail of the PSU provides something like 25A).Well,I also google some information about TP4056 lithium battery charger module.Here it is:

TP4056 is a complete single line lithium ion battery with constant current / constant voltage linear charger. Its SOP8 package with fins at the bottom and the number of fewer external components make TP4056 an ideal choice for portable applications. TP4056 lithium battery is suitable for USB power supply and adapter power supply.

TP4056 is a linear charger circuit designed for a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery, which uses power transistors inside the chip for constant current and constant voltage charging. The charging current can be programmed by external resistance. The maximum continuous charge current can reach 1A. No additional blocking diode and current detection resistor are needed. The TP4056 consists of two state outputs with open drain outputs and charge state indication terminals.

The power management circuit inside the chip automatically reduces the charging current when the chip's junction temperature exceeds 145 degrees C. This function allows users to maximize the power processing capability of the chip, without fear of the chip overheating and damaging the chip or external components. In this way, the user can not consider the worst when designing the charging current, but only according to the typical case, because in the worst case, the TP4056 will automatically reduce the charging current.

The programmable charging current of up to 1000mA does not require MOSFET, detection resistor or isolating diode to be used for single lithium ion batteries, a constant current / constant voltage operation of a complete linear charger with SOP package, and a thermal regulation function that can maximize the charging rate without overheating danger.

As far as I know it does not matter how many amps the USB can provide since the connected device always draws what it needs, but I like a confirmation from someone more expert than me 

2018613a.jpg

Archived