Sign in to follow this  
ho0pla

Beginner DSP Projects

Hey all

I've just recently got my Nexys 4 DDR Board.

I am looking for some intro DSP projects to do on my FPGA.
I took a DSP course last year but it was pretty much only theory. So I know the theory very well, but am not sure what is a good project to start out in DSP?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!

Well, if you want my opinion, DSP on FPGA is a fairly specialized niche application. It's a long walk to come up with a project that really fits into that niche, justifying an FPGA (rather pair a $0.50 FPGA for programmable IO with one or more high-end DSPs for the number crunching if someone claims "we need an FPGA").

For studying, it can be "interesting" in a sense that you get to know quite a few dragons on a first-name basis. But then, is it productive to spend weeks on fixed point math when everybody else uses floats on a DSP / CPU when "time-to-market" is #1 priority. Maybe not. DSP is more fun in Matlab (Octave). And there is no point in FPGA for performance unless you have exhausted the options at algorithm level (again, exceptions e.g. well-defined brute-force filtering problems)

A lot of the online material is "sponsored" by companies that sell FPGA silicon by the square meter (Yessir. We have Floats!). But this is largely for the desperate and ill-informed (of course, there are viable use cases - say high volume basestations or automotive with need for EOL in a decade or two. As said, a niche application).

When you take the direct route, you'll run into a question like, "how on earth could I implement an audio mixing console when the FPGA has only 96 multipliers". Challenge me or anybody who has read some books and you'll find it can be done on a single multiplier (say, 100 MHz at 96 kHz is 86 multiplications per sample for 12 channels. It's just an example. In reality I'd use a few with "maintainability" of the code my major concern). The point is, the skill ceiling is fairly high but so is the design effort. It only makes sense if I plan to sell at least a hundred gazillon devices.

On the other hand, if you separate DSP and FPGA, you'll find that a lot of the Matlab (Octave) magic maps 1:1 to real life on any modern CPU platform by importing e.g. the "Eigen" library into my C code.